water temperature

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
ohugal

water temperature

Post by ohugal »

Is there something such as an ideal temperature for the water you use to water your plants? I don't really see an issue when the room temperature is 21°C/69.8°F and the water temperature is the same. But what's a good water temperature if it's 28°C/82.4°F in the room/greenhouse? What to do in autumn when the temperature is 15°C and you want to lightly water or your plants/succulents? When I was in the greenhouse of the botanical garden here in Antwerp, they had a large tub to collect rainwater fitted with an element to keep the water at a certain temperature. At the time I didn't ask for specifics and currently don't know anyone anymore there.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
7george

Re: water temperature

Post by 7george »

What to do in autumn when the temperature is 15°C and you want to lightly water or your plants/succulents?
Small amount of slitely cooler water will not stress the plants. If you keep vessels with water together with plants at least for several hours will be no difference at all. That 28°C is calculated somewhere in tropics. So if it's not just melted snow water there is no what to worry about.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

From what I have read people can shiver when caught in a rainstorm in a desert, but the temperature rises as quickly as it falls when the rain stops therefore cacti can stand quite cool water and swings in temperature. Obviously cold water in cold weather is not a good idea.

I have never bothered about water temperature as long as it's a few degrees above freezing and seen no harm to the plants. Some people advocate watering in the evening rather than in the middle of the day if they live in hot climates simply because the pots dry out slower at night than in full sun giving the plants more time to take up water overnight.

Epiphytic cacti may not like it really cold though coming from warmer areas. Possibly the heated water in your botanical garden was intended for more tropical plants that never experience cold.
Download

Post by Download »

I would generally take the position of if your water is too cold coming out of the tap, then it's too cold to water your plants. However, I can see how a greenhouse might complicate things.

I think I would only be concerned with cacti that are very cold intolerant, such as Melocacti. Cold weather kills the roots on some Melocacti species quite easily, particularly if they are in small pots which can cool down very quickly. In that case I would suggest letting the water reach room temperature. Hardier species are probably okay.