#4 winter hibernation question.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

#4 winter hibernation question.

Post by JCcares »

“Hibernation” i’m thinking there are places on the planet where it never gets cold at least cooling off below 40 degrees. Southern Florida as an example where I grew up it’s always warm and I know many with cacti.

See image attached. So far my average temperature in my unheated basement has been 69° humidity hovering around 60%. My light is on for 8 hours.

Do I have to Hibernate?

Can I give them more light maybe water once a month?

They have been here for 4 weeks and all seem healthy and happy.

This upcoming week it will drop to 30 degrees. That average 69 will probably be 64°
C8B465F2-EE05-4B50-B17B-EC907932613C.jpeg
C8B465F2-EE05-4B50-B17B-EC907932613C.jpeg (258.38 KiB) Viewed 947 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
LateBloomer

Re: #4 winter hibernation question.

Post by LateBloomer »

With temps over 60F during the day they will not go dormant. I have zero experience with grow lights but if there is enough strength they will grow as normal conditions but you should water less often since not as warm and DO NOT FERTILIZE or they will have weak growth.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

LateBloomer wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:08 pm With temps over 60F during the day they will not go dormant. I have zero experience with grow lights but if there is enough strength they will grow as normal conditions but you should water less often since not as warm and DO NOT FERTILIZE or they will have weak growth.
How does it sound to water them once a month not a soaking just a medium watering, no water draining out of the drain hole on the bottom of the pot.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:15 amHow does it sound to water them once a month not a soaking just a medium watering, no water draining out of the drain hole on the bottom of the pot.
That's right -- sip, don't soak. It's what I do for some of my North American cacti, although I keep the others and my South American plants completely dry during winter. However, I have the collection outdoors 365 days a year, so IMO sips once a month in your basement should be fine for you regardless of whether your cacti are native to North or South America. In case your cacti want to put on a little top growth during winter, I'm not sure if the fluorescent lighting setup you have is the best way to go. Amazon offers a good selection of grow lights, and this one caught my eye:

https://www.amazon.com/BTMETER-Plant-Gr ... 29642&th=1

If you like the idea, but that particular product doesn't "float your boat", you'll have plenty of others to choose from. Even with grow lights, LateBloomer is correct -- do not fertilize, and save the fert for next year's growing season.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:58 am
JCcares wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:15 amHow does it sound to water them once a month not a soaking just a medium watering, no water draining out of the drain hole on the bottom of the pot.
That's right -- sip, don't soak. It's what I do for some of my North American cacti, although I keep the others and my South American plants completely dry during winter. However, I have the collection outdoors 365 days a year, so IMO sips once a month in your basement should be fine for you regardless of whether your cacti are native to North or South America. In case your cacti want to put on a little top growth during winter, I'm not sure if the fluorescent lighting setup you have is the best way to go. Amazon offers a good selection of grow lights, and this one caught my eye:

If you like the idea, but that particular product doesn't "float your boat", you'll have plenty of others to choose from. Even with grow lights, LateBloomer is correct -- do not fertilize, and save the fert for next year's growing season.
Thankful for you Steve! Will do.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:58 am

Good Steve I viewed that link you sent me about the grow lights. I a little confused right now what your meaning is about my grow light you see in my picture posted showing my set up. Are you saying the link you sent me of the $20 grow light is better for my cacti over the winter then my $270 “Mars Hydro TSL2000 Led Grow Light 300 watt 2x4ft Coverage Full Spectrum Growing Lamps for Indoor Plants”.?
LateBloomer

Post by LateBloomer »

As far as sip vs soak it depends on your soil and your conditions... I soaked my cacti BUT they are in 100% mineral soil and dry completely in 2 weeks if it was cold and shady.

You can also NOT water the entire time and they will survive. Careful with watering if not enough light as it will cause issues with etiolation.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 amI a little confused right now what your meaning is about my grow light you see in my picture posted showing my set up. Are you saying the link you sent me of the $20 grow light is better for my cacti over the winter then my $270 “Mars Hydro TSL2000 Led Grow Light 300 watt 2x4ft Coverage Full Spectrum Growing Lamps for Indoor Plants”.?
Full-spectrum light is really important, and the Mars Hydro should be fine. I'll admit that my knowledge is confined to the fluorescent tubes I grew up with many years ago, and LED technology has been a game-changer for people who used to rely on fluorescent and incandescent bulbs whenever they tried growing their cacti indoors.
LateBloomer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:15 pmYou can also NOT water the entire time and they will survive.
Generally speaking that's correct. Joe, if you ever decide to try growing Discocactus and/or Melocactus, they'll need a sip every 3 weeks during fall and winter to keep their roots alive until they're ready for regular soaks in the growing season. My personal favorite if you're interested -- Melocactus matanzanus
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

LateBloomer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:15 pm As far as sip vs soak it depends on your soil and your conditions... I soaked my cacti BUT they are in 100% mineral soil and dry completely in 2 weeks if it was cold and shady.

You can also NOT water the entire time and they will survive. Careful with watering if not enough light as it will cause issues with etiolation.
Yes Sir THANK YOU LateBloomer🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:00 pm
JCcares wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 amI a little confused right now what your meaning is about my grow light you see in my picture posted showing my set up. Are you saying the link you sent me of the $20 grow light is better for my cacti over the winter then my $270 “Mars Hydro TSL2000 Led Grow Light 300 watt 2x4ft Coverage Full Spectrum Growing Lamps for Indoor Plants”.?
Full-spectrum light is really important, and the Mars Hydro should be fine. I'll admit that my knowledge is confined to the fluorescent tubes I grew up with many years ago, and LED technology has been a game-changer for people who used to rely on fluorescent and incandescent bulbs whenever they tried growing their cacti indoors.
LateBloomer wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:15 pmYou can also NOT water the entire time and they will survive.
Generally speaking that's correct. Joe, if you ever decide to try growing Discocactus and/or Melocactus, they'll need a sip every 3 weeks during fall and winter to keep their roots alive until they're ready for regular soaks in the growing season. My personal favorite if you're interested -- Melocactus matanzanus
Appreciate you Steve. It’s so funny sometimes I stare at my winter hibernation set up and am SO temped to water them😂😂😂
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:05 pm Appreciate you Steve. It’s so funny sometimes I stare at my winter hibernation set up and am SO temped to water them😂😂😂
That was me after I started building my current collection in June 2011, 20 years after being away from the hobby. I saw a lot of shriveling over the winter of 2011/2012, but pretty amazing to see how many of them plumped up nicely after their first deep drink of the growing season. Here's an example -- one of my winter shriveling/spring plumping presentations from 2017:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 22#p332122

This should give heart -- and hope to the beginners out there who are afraid that their cacti won't survive winter without any water at all. Of course there are exceptions (Discos and Melos, for example), but we're here to help the newbies who need to know what they are.