Spider mite war!!!

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Spider mite war!!!

Post by JCcares »

Last winner with my inexperience I lost six lovely cacti to spider mites. This year I THOUGHT I was am being proactive with everything I’ve learned from here on this blog and on the worldwide web.

See images attached.

For seven straight days now each morning when I wake up I check this one succulent the only one that has spider mites and yes I have it isolated.

When I wake up there is a new spiderweb like you see in the images that I destroy every morning. I sprayed I tried Neem oil and soap AND this “Kiss of Death” all natural pesticide each morning but nothing works so this morning with a razor blade I cut the arms infected with spider mites away.

I lost the war!

I guess my main motive for this thread is to discuss spider mites from my own personal experience. I think I did everything right I was taught to do educated to do but the spider mites won and I lost a part of my succulent.

Winter hasn’t even started yet and my babies have only been indoors for just over 3 weeks. I have a humidifier in my living room a fan I’m trying every thing I know to win this war.

Anyone else been there and experienced this these nights good spider mites?
7FFF47E2-1470-4138-B04F-958325D8370E.jpeg
7FFF47E2-1470-4138-B04F-958325D8370E.jpeg (202.88 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
Attachments
450F9047-D3F4-46F1-B503-6DE60FBEF646.jpeg
450F9047-D3F4-46F1-B503-6DE60FBEF646.jpeg (194.97 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
FredBW

Re: Spider mite war!!!

Post by FredBW »

Might try this stuff. I have no experience with it. But it isn't very expensive,and it doesn't look like it's too 'evil"
https://www.amazon.com/Sarasota-Green-G ... Z97M353KDJ
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

I see webs, but I'm not seeing any spider mites. Here's what a red spider mite attack looks like:

Red-spider-mite-on-strawberry-plant-_-how-to-get-rid-of-red-spider-mites-_-ss-_-featured-3940770362.jpg
Red-spider-mite-on-strawberry-plant-_-how-to-get-rid-of-red-spider-mites-_-ss-_-featured-3940770362.jpg (68.4 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
If you really do have spider mite problems, the most effective miticide is called TetraSan, and it's my go-to whenever I see flat mites showing up on some of my cacti. Available in small and affordable quantities here:

https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Dilute 1/8 teaspoon TetraSan in a quart of distilled water or rainwater, and spray the affected plants thoroughly. While it isn't all that effective on adult mites, here's why TetraSan is better than other miticides:
  • It kills their larvae and nymphs.
  • Females lay eggs that won't hatch -- this breaks the mites' life cycle.
TetraSan gives you about 30 days of protection. If you need to spray again after that, do it at the first sign of another visit from the spider mites. And seriously, you need a 10x magnifier to see if you have them. Here's a good one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Glass ... pons&psc=1

Go get 'em, Joe! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:47 pm I see webs, but I'm not seeing any spider mites. Here's what a red spider mite attack looks like:

Red-spider-mite-on-strawberry-plant-_-how-to-get-rid-of-red-spider-mites-_-ss-_-featured-3940770362.jpg

If you really do have spider mite problems, the most effective miticide is called TetraSan, and it's my go-to whenever I see flat mites showing up on some of my cacti. Available in small and affordable quantities here:

https://www.flytrapcare.com/store/other ... ous-plants

Dilute 1/8 teaspoon TetraSan in a quart of distilled water or rainwater, and spray the affected plants thoroughly. While it isn't all that effective on adult mites, here's why TetraSan is better than other miticides:
  • It kills their larvae and nymphs.
  • Females lay eggs that won't hatch -- this breaks the mites' life cycle.
TetraSan gives you about 30 days of protection. If you need to spray again after that, do it at the first sign of another visit from the spider mites. And seriously, you need a 10x magnifier to see if you have them. Here's a good one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Glass ... pons&psc=1

Go get 'em, Joe! :)
Man Steve your like A library that is full of knowledge. Thank you very much!!!🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

FredBW wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:07 pm Might try this stuff. I have no experience with it. But it isn't very expensive,and it doesn't look like it's too 'evil"
https://www.amazon.com/Sarasota-Green-G ... Z97M353KDJ
Thank you Fred🙏🏽 I just put this stuff in my cart!
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

TetraSan is tested and proven -- I should know because it's worked wonderfully for me over the course of 10 years. Grower's Ally may be fine, but I'm leary of anything containing oil even if the oil is botanical (as in GA's rosemary oil). Test it on 2 or 3 cacti first -- if they have a phytotoxic reaction, you'll know what the reaction looks like (and it won't be pretty), so stick with TetraSan. If there's no reaction, you can use the GA on the rest of your plants.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:23 pm TetraSan is tested and proven -- I should know because it's worked wonderfully for me over the course of 10 years. Grower's Ally may be fine, but I'm leary of anything containing oil even if the oil is botanical (as in GA's rosemary oil). Test it on 2 or 3 cacti first -- if they have a phytotoxic reaction, you'll know what the reaction looks like (and it won't be pretty), so stick with TetraSan. If there's no reaction, you can use the GA on the rest of your plants.
I believe you Steve and ordered it.

Will be here in 3 days.

This TetraSan sounds nuclear😂😂😂. I mean I want to win this war against these spider mites and I feeling like TetraSan is what general Patton would’ve used.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

JCcares wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:39 am
Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:23 pm TetraSan is tested and proven -- I should know because it's worked wonderfully for me over the course of 10 years. Grower's Ally may be fine, but I'm leary of anything containing oil even if the oil is botanical (as in GA's rosemary oil). Test it on 2 or 3 cacti first -- if they have a phytotoxic reaction, you'll know what the reaction looks like (and it won't be pretty), so stick with TetraSan. If there's no reaction, you can use the GA on the rest of your plants.
I believe you Steve and ordered it.

Will be here in 3 days.

This TetraSan sounds nuclear😂😂😂. I mean I want to win this war against these spider mites and I feeling like TetraSan is what general Patton would’ve used.
Since you'll bring in the "heavy artillery", I'm sure you'll win. By the way, TetraSan is safe around mammals including us humans, so nothing to worry about there. Let us know how things are going in your war against the spider mites.
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

My 2 c is that this looks more like thrip damage, the discolouration/dying tissue and the black marks. Even looks like a thrip or 2 can be seen in the photo. (elongated black things).
They hide deep in the sheaths of aloe leaves and other crevices and always butchered my aloes, I lost vs them on aloes in the past. Look for black oily dots that can be wiped off but smear (that would be their leaving), the thrips are usually small but can be seen unaided and observed moving around.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

RorBurg56 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:04 pm My 2 c is that this looks more like thrip damage, the discolouration/dying tissue and the black marks. Even looks like a thrip or 2 can be seen in the photo. (elongated black things).
They hide deep in the sheaths of aloe leaves and other crevices and always butchered my aloes, I lost vs them on aloes in the past. Look for black oily dots that can be wiped off but smear (that would be their leaving), the thrips are usually small but can be seen unaided and observed moving around.
I will do that Sir. Thank you very much. I cut that bad arm off and all has been well for 3 weeks now.
RorBurg56

Post by RorBurg56 »

Good to hear.
Growing some succs and cacs in mid/coastal Scotland.