Source for gypsum soil in the USA

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
Jaybizzle

Source for gypsum soil in the USA

Post by Jaybizzle »

Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for gypsum containing soils in the USA?

Lots of places sell pelletized and ground gypsum but this material dissolves way too rapidly to be used in a soil mix. So I’m looking either for coarse crushed gypsum or anhydrite or natural gypsum soil. I will use as part of a soil mix for gypsum-loving cacti.

Thank you.
jerrytheplater

Re: Source for gypsum soil in the USA

Post by jerrytheplater »

Crushed drywall, sheet rock. It is made out of gypsum.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Jaybizzle

Post by Jaybizzle »

Thanks—I found this—-this is recycled drywall but it not fast dissolving like the pellets or the powder. And they sell 10 pound bags which can be sent via USPS.

https://www.usagypsum.com/gypsum-produc ... lar-gypsum
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Yes, Drywall, or Plasterboard as it's called in the UK is a source of gypsum. However, it might contain other chemicals so do a trial on a spare plant first. As with cat litter etc it's composition may vary since its designed for the original purpose, therefore not all forms may be suitable for plants.

https://www.zerowastescotland.org.uk/co ... board-made

See the discussion here: -

ttps://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... %20Johnson
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DaveW wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:29 amSee the discussion here: -

ttps://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... %20Johnson
I did that post in 2015, and I'll have to correct something I said back then:
Steve Johnson wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:11 pmAlthough both contain Calcium, gypsum (CaSO4·2H2O) and limestone (CaCO3) are essentially 2 different minerals. The mineral you select should match what a given calciphyte species is growing in natively. With that said, cacti in cultivation do just fine without it.
Wrongo! Thanks to what I learned from MikeInOz in 2020, Calcium is not a natural growth inhibitor as I had believed coming from uninformed people -- in fact it's an important nutrient for growth. As Mike once said, "there's no such thing as too much Calcium", and this doesn't apply merely to the so-called gypsum- or limestone-loving cacti. With that said, there's one thing missing from the equation (and something else I learned from Mike) -- Calcium must be balanced with Magnesium, and the ideal Ca-to-Mg ratio is 4:1. There's nothing magical about gypsum or limestone, so if your cacti need more Ca and/or Mg for optimal growth, you can supplement your fertilizer regimen with a small amount of Cal-Mag fert. Here's a more recent post you may find rather interesting:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewto ... 54#p394954

I'm coming to the end of my first growing season with Cal-Mag in the fert regiment, and the improvements are pretty amazing.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)