Seed pods without flowering?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Lefty

Seed pods without flowering?

Post by Lefty »

Had several lophs stored away for winter. When spring came along I took them out and repotted into fresh moist potting mix. A few weeks later, three of them started pushing out seed pods. Is that possible without flowering? At least I don't recall them flowering.
jerrytheplater

Re: Seed pods without flowering?

Post by jerrytheplater »

How long have you had these plants? If you just purchased them, it is possible they flowered for the seller and you didn't see them flower.

But, if you've had them for years, forget what I said above.

Also, I would be careful with your potting mix when repotting. You said it was moist. That is not the best. There is a good chance any broken or damaged roots from potting could rot given a moist mix. I wait a minimum of a week before watering new transplants. Potting mix is bone dry to start.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Lefty

Re: Seed pods without flowering?

Post by Lefty »

I grew them from seed. They are about 5cm now, so several years old. They certainly flowered in the previous season. Is it possible seed development can be delayed to the next season? I guess the simplest answer is they flowered this season and I didn't notice (been rather distracted).

Thanks for the tip about repotting.