Dark Ring on Optunia

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
akcheat

Dark Ring on Optunia

Post by akcheat »

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I have a dark ring on a pad of my opuntia Desert Ace, and I'm curious if this is something fixable or if the pad should just come off. There are no other marks on any of the rest of the plant. I attached the pictures to this post. Any advice or should I leave it alone?

Thank you!!
Attachments
Opuntia 2.jpg
Opuntia 2.jpg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 663 times
Opuntia.jpg
Opuntia.jpg (26.38 KiB) Viewed 663 times
greenknight

Re: Dark Ring on Optunia

Post by greenknight »

In the second photo, it appears to have been weeping a dark fluid, which is a sign of bacterial rot. If that's the case it's best to cut it off.
Spence :mrgreen:
akcheat

Post by akcheat »

Understood, thank you! Anything I should do to prevent the spread after cutting off that pad?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Sterilize the knife with alcohol before cutting, dust the cut with sulfur after cutting. Sulfur is effective against both bacteria and fungi.

If you want to propagate that plant, good chance you can salvage the pad for that purpose, Opuntia cuttings can be made from just a piece of a pad. Cut away the rotten part well clear of the infection, making sure there's no discoloration in the part that's left. Dust the cuts with sulfur, and set the trimmed pad aside to heal well away from other cacti. If it heals without rotting, it's good to grow. You can lay it flat on the ground and roots will grow out the bottom side, it will grow new starts while the old pad shrivels.
akcheat

Post by akcheat »

Awesome, thank you for your advice!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

You're welcome. I should add that you shouldn't expect a cutting taken now to do anything until spring.
akcheat

Post by akcheat »

Understood. I live in Southern NM, so I've got a few cacti that are coming inside now. Can I just let the pad lay dormant and then set it out in the spring?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Sure. If you left it laying outside it would probably grow anyway, but it's a valuable enough plant to be worth a little more effort.