Ferocacti?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jerrytheplater

Ferocacti?

Post by jerrytheplater »

Is this a Ferocactus? If so, do you know the species? I am not happy with the way I've grown this plant. I got it before 2009 when my boss at the time did not want it. It was a seedling when purchased.
2009-6-28
2009-6-28 Marie's cactus.jpg
2009-6-28 Marie's cactus.jpg (213.72 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
2010-4-1
2010-4-1 Marie's cactus from work 1.jpg
2010-4-1 Marie's cactus from work 1.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
2010-4-1 Marie's cactus from work 2.jpg
2010-4-1 Marie's cactus from work 2.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
2021-4-5 The pot size in this photo is 6" in diameter.
2021-4-5 Marie's cactus.jpg
2021-4-5 Marie's cactus.jpg (183.15 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
2022-8-15 The pot size in this photo is 6" in diameter.
2022-8-15 Marie's cactus.jpg
2022-8-15 Marie's cactus.jpg (137.87 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
This cacti has not flowered for me so far.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Re: Ferocacti?

Post by anttisepp »

pilosus
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Thanks Anttisepp. I am hoping to give this plant better care and maybe see the early scars grow out. But, I may not live long enough to see that! I'm not just starting in the hobby.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yours is at the age where it's shifting from the tuberculate juvenile form to the mature form without tubercles, they grow a bit faster after that (at least, that was my experience with the one I have). Give it a bigger pot next spring, and plenty of sun, it should take off. Needs to get quite a bit larger before there's much chance of blooming.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

greenknight wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:09 am Yours is at the age where it's shifting from the tuberculate juvenile form to the mature form without tubercles, they grow a bit faster after that (at least, that was my experience with the one I have). Give it a bigger pot next spring, and plenty of sun, it should take off. Needs to get quite a bit larger before there's much chance of blooming.
Thanks Spence. I have read that they need to be at least 30 years old before they bloom. Maybe my daughter down in Florida might want to take up the challenge from me 10 or 15 years from now. She's my only gardener of all my kids.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

greenknight wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:09 am Yours is at the age where it's shifting from the tuberculate juvenile form to the mature form without tubercles, they grow a bit faster after that (at least, that was my experience with the one I have). Give it a bigger pot next spring, and plenty of sun, it should take off. Needs to get quite a bit larger before there's much chance of blooming.
I just took this cactus out of its pot to go larger in size. Should I give it more room on the diameter? On the depth? Or both at the same time? I guess I'll be putting it in a pot in 3 days or so. Very humid here now.

Does Ferocactus pilosus benefit from some calcium in the potting mix? I can add Aragonite gravel easily.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I'd go larger in all dimensions - they're not shallow-rooted, standard depth pots work fine.

N0 need for extra lime. Mine is in my normal cactus mix, and it's growing very well. I don't think they're very fussy about soil. The species is widespread in Mexico, which suggests it's quite adaptable. My only caution is to keep it out of cold drafts, which cause unsightly marks to appear.
Spence :mrgreen:
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Hi Jerry,
I just gave my Feros REALLY big pots because I read something. And they do appreciate it. It seems that it is not only about enough room for the roots, but also about microclimate.
I would enlarge in all dimensions, too.
N.

Found it:
Since they are rapid growers, and need plenty of space for their roots, repotting should be done every other year or when the plant has outgrown its pot.
bei cactus-art.biz
Last edited by nachtkrabb on Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

The general rule is re-pot in one size larger container than the current container. Otherwise, when you water the cactus there's danger of too much moisture around the roots and the roots might not be able to accomodate the excess water leading to root rot.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Feros need big pots, these plants aren't for bonsai lovers ))
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

madkactus wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:03 pm The general rule is re-pot in one size larger container than the current container. Otherwise, when you water the cactus there's danger of too much moisture around the roots and the roots might not be able to accomodate the excess water leading to root rot.
Hallo Madkactus,
I never had that problem. Contrarywise! Since I definitely ignore it firmly, my cacti etc. grow loads better. :lol:

I expect it has something to do with the soil you are using, your pots and your way of watering.
My plants get mostly plasic pots (no roots clinging to terracotta, easy to keep clean between usages) or highly fired + glazed ceramic (no roots clinging to terracotta). The soil is very well draining.
So, when we have a series of strong rainfalls here, that I think those cacti would grow flippers or webs between their roots as ducks, they just sit & smile and enjoy the show.

This holds especially for the Feros! :P Antti, I do agree with you:
anttisepp wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:08 pm Feros need big pots, these plants aren't for bonsai lovers ))
But, Madkactus, I do hope & expect you have found a way where your plants, your pots, your soil & your watering are all very well balanced. No harm intended, none taken.
N.
Fero. histrix proudly enjoying his BIG pot :lol:
Fero. histrix proudly enjoying his BIG pot :lol:
Foto am 16.07.23 um 20.19.jpg (100.42 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Sorry, the soil is difficult to catch with the laptop camera...
Sorry, the soil is difficult to catch with the laptop camera...
Foto am 16.07.23 um 20.24_ergebnis.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 693 times
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

This link should dispel any myth that a large pot is needed for Ferocactus
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

:shock: :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

Nonetheless -- they might be tough and survive a lot, they are the FEROs after all -- the wild ones.
But I tend to give them a nicer, easier life, as we all do somehow with our pot-plants. Don't we?
N #-o
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

jerrytheplater wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:54 am (...) I am not happy with the way I've grown this plant. I got it before 2009 when my boss at the time did not want it. (...)
Hi Jerry, to come back to where we started: You have a nice plant, although it doesn't all look too happy today. I am sure you will give it a a splendid treatment now so that it can grow and become (even more) beautiful, too.
Besides: You have this plant since more than 14 years! It can't be too bad now, can it?

Have you already repotted it? -- Please show us some pictures. I am so curious on how different it will look with a new pot + new soil. :)
Thanks
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:24 pm This link should dispel any myth that a large pot is needed for Ferocactus
Only own experience. )) I had many of them in small and in big ones for many years and see the difference. ))