Ferocacti?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jerrytheplater

Re: Ferocacti?

Post by jerrytheplater »

Thanks all. I have not repotted yet, but hope to do it today. I also have three Ferocactus wislizeni seedlings about 1" in diameter which I'm going to repot today too. I have photos of the plants out of the pots and will take them after repotting. Just have to process and post. To Be Continued.

I will go with the bigger pot than normal.

Now I'm wondering if the F. pilosus has an orange fungus growing on it. I remember reading about fungus on the forum somewhere.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
madkactus

Post by madkactus »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:17 pm
madkactus wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:03 pm The general rule is re-pot in one size larger container than the current container. Otherwise, when you water the cactus there's danger of too much moisture around the roots and the roots might not be able to accomodate the excess water leading to root rot.
Hallo Madkactus,
I never had that problem. Contrarywise! Since I definitely ignore it firmly, my cacti etc. grow loads better. :lol:

I expect it has something to do with the soil you are using, your pots and your way of watering.
My plants get mostly plasic pots (no roots clinging to terracotta, easy to keep clean between usages) or highly fired + glazed ceramic (no roots clinging to terracotta). The soil is very well draining.
So, when we have a series of strong rainfalls here, that I think those cacti would grow flippers or webs between their roots as ducks, they just sit & smile and enjoy the show.

This holds especially for the Feros! :P Antti, I do agree with you:
anttisepp wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 3:08 pm Feros need big pots, these plants aren't for bonsai lovers ))
But, Madkactus, I do hope & expect you have found a way where your plants, your pots, your soil & your watering are all very well balanced. No harm intended, none taken.
N.

Foto am 16.07.23 um 20.19.jpg
Foto am 16.07.23 um 20.24_ergebnis.jpg
Hi Nachtkrabb,

no offence taken. There are exceptions to practically everything. Yes I can envision if using soil with no organic compound that the water would run through the container like a sieve. There's basicially no chance of water sticking around the roots. I can also see how the roots would be craved to get any water like in nature. Imagine the poor quality of soil is in places like Mexican desert. Some cacti thrive under these poor soils and soil with little or no organic compound. I guess in these situitations nature provides the organic material with dead animals and such. I do think that perhaps you have me confused with the OP because I don't have any issues with my pots , watering etc.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I went from a 6'' pot to 10" with mine, seemed to make it very happy. It was a little more robust, but yours is growing rapidly now - it should quickly fill the pot with roots. Water a bit sparingly the first year.

I don't see anything that looks like fungus, the orange tint seems to be the way corking develops on these. Mine has some of that, too, but it hasn't spread since I gave it a more generous pot.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I didn't get to potting today. So I may be going for a 10" pot too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I last repotted mine in 2019, so it's due again. It's reached the point where the question is how big of a pot do I want to pack around. I decided I could handle a 14" pot, and that will be its final home.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

greenknight wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:23 am I last repotted mine in 2019, so it's due again. It's reached the point where the question is how big of a pot do I want to pack around. I decided I could handle a 14" pot, and that will be its final home.
Then what? Root pruning? Sell it? Give it away?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

He has beautiful opportunity to move with collection to LA, CA. 😃
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:27 pm He has beautiful opportunity to move with collection to LA, CA. 😃
Yeah, with +100F temps right now.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 pm Yeah, with +100F temps right now.
I'd rather 100F some days/weeks than +60F all summer... 😁
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:14 pm

Then what? Root pruning? Sell it? Give it away?
That pretty well sums up the options - unless I move into a place where I can move it in and out on wheels, or I get a big greenhouse.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I got mine re-potted late last night! I'll take a photo later on. Grandkids are here now from Florida. 2, 4, 10. Its a bit busy.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:34 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:49 pm Yeah, with +100F temps right now.
I'd rather 100F some days/weeks than +60F all summer... 😁
+60F is the type of weather which makes a cactus want to snooze. The forever half-open, half-closed flower bud. :lol:
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

ohugal wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:05 pm+60F is the type of weather which makes a cactus want to snooze. The forever half-open, half-closed flower bud. :lol:
Fortunately I have 2 greenhouses where cacti feel very good. But keeping them (as many other exotic plants) outdoors in the open air isn't very successful because of low temp sum.