Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis over the years

This is a place for members to post on-going topics about their plants and experiences.
jerrytheplater

Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis over the years

Post by jerrytheplater »

These are my two Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis purchased from Miles2Go back in 2009. I purchased a few winter hardy cacti back then to start an outdoor dish garden/trough where I'd leave them outdoors over winter here in the cold and wet winters of New Jersey. I met John N. Spain at an Annual Spring Show of the Connecticut Cactus and Succulent Society. He had been growing cacti outdoors for decades by that time. I purchased his booklet, "Growing Winter Hardy Cacti in Cold/Wet Climate Conditions" which gave tips on which plants to try. The CCSS has one of John's Powerpoint slide shows on their Home page and you can scroll through it to get some good ideas: https://www.ctcactussociety.org/john-spain-slide-shows

So here are these two plants when purchased in the Spring of 2009:
2009-6-28 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2009-6-28 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (163.31 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
I took another photo on Nov 18, 2009:
2009-11-18 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2009-11-18 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Next spring on April 1, 2010. Notice the plants are growing some offsets already:
2010-4-1 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2010-4-1 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (159.05 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Next photo I have was taken April 13, 2014. The plants have grown significantly.
rsz_2014-4-13_echinocereus_triglochidiatus_var_inermis_2.jpg
rsz_2014-4-13_echinocereus_triglochidiatus_var_inermis_2.jpg (171.32 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
The next photo was taken March 27, 2015. You can see some grey corking showing up. Granted, these plants are not even awake from the winter. I also found that the pot was not draining well. The whole pot filled up with water over winter. Not all made it.
2015-3-27 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2015-3-27 Echino triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (131.21 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
And an overhead shot of the whole pot taken also on March 27, 2015. The only other cactus in the pot is a Escobaria vivipara. It too is still alive and growing as of this posting on Oct 26, 2022:
rsz_2015-3-27_hypertufa_oval_dish_garden.jpg
rsz_2015-3-27_hypertufa_oval_dish_garden.jpg (209.14 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
I eventually repotted all of these cacti into individual pots. The E. triglochidiatus v. inermis came down with some problems and I had to cut away all of the offsets and had to re-root the plants. This next shot brings us up to Spring 2021 on March 23, 2021 when I washed all of the old potting mix off of a lot of my cacti and repotted after long years of neglect.
2021-3-23 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2021-3-23 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
Here they are three months later on June 5, 2021. No offsets showing up. I am hoping they do, but I'm not sure they will through the corking. Anyone know if they will still offset?:
2021-6-5 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2021-6-5 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (108.99 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
The May 31, 2022 shot shows the plants swelling and growing much more noticeably in response to some TLC long neglected.
2022-5-31 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2022-5-31 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
The Aug 15, 2022 shot is the last so far. If you compare it to the previous photo, you will see a lot of new growth, but still no offsets:
2022-8-15 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg
2022-8-15 Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 1885 times
To be continued. These plants have been outside all summer and are now in my unheated garage getting ready for winter. I stopped watering early in October.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
K.W.

Re: Echinocereus triglochidiatus v. inermis over the years

Post by K.W. »

Good evening Jerry,

the poor little plants, they lacked water, fertilizer and light.
Take good care of them! Good luck!

K.W.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

K.W. wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:40 pm Good evening Jerry,

the poor little plants, they lacked water, fertilizer and light.
Take good care of them! Good luck!

K.W.
Yes, I have not taken the best care of these plants. That one winter when I discovered the drain holes were frozen allowing surface melting of ice/snow and trapping it around the plants really hurt them. All of the clumps that formed had to be cut off due to rot. I was able to save what you see now. I'm going to see what happens next summer, if there is any further growth. I'm hoping for more offsets. Might even cut them in half and root the top and allow the bottom to grow some pups.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
7george

Post by 7george »

Some of clones of this species are very cold-hardy: I keep one plant in my back yard next to the house in a raised bed and it survives canadian winters with -20 to -30 C colds but with limited progress. Last year I changed the soil around it. Will see if any difference will be seen some day.
An old photo of it.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

7george wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:02 pm Some of clones of this species are very cold-hardy: I keep one plant in my back yard next to the house in a raised bed and it survives canadian winters with -20 to -30 C colds but with limited progress. Last year I changed the soil around it. Will see if any difference will be seen some day.
An old photo of it.
Nice bed. Funny how I can see dandelion seedlings just like in my backyard. Can you say something about your bed: soil, plants, survival records, ....?

I've never made a bed yet. I was just in a container.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
7george

Post by 7george »

Can you say something about your bed: soil, plants, survival records, ....?
Well, it is not the best one. The soil is mostly loamy with some gravel on top. It is facing west, about 10 cm above ground and close to my house. I've got some shrubs, flowers, succulents and cacti growing there. And lot of creeping weeds now that is hard to eradicate. Also an ant-house so success is limited.
Many seedlings and larger plants grow much better in pots in the same back yard maybe because of the better soil mix.

Hardy Opuntia and different stonecrops grow well there.

Seedlings of smaller cacti not so well.

And another photo of that Echinocereus.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

7george wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:57 am
Well, it is not the best one. The soil is mostly loamy with some gravel on top. It is facing west, about 10 cm above ground and close to my house. I've got some shrubs, flowers, succulents and cacti growing there. And lot of creeping weeds now that is hard to eradicate. Also an ant-house so success is limited.
Many seedlings and larger plants grow much better in pots in the same back yard maybe because of the better soil mix.
Thanks for posting. The Opuntia flowers are really nice. Too bad about the weeds getting the upper hand. I guess you'd have to dig up all the cacti and get the weeds out in a major overhaul. Lot's of work!!
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Well, I said last fall that I'd wait till the summer to see if I get any offsets. None yet, but I just de-potted one of these two E. triglochidiatus v inermis because it was loose and shaking in the pot. No rot, good roots. Just not deep enough for support. The photo in my first post from March 23, 2021 shows the roots then. It looks almost the same now, except for a bit more vertical growth.

Any ideas on how to promote offsets? Still have not cut the top off of the plant. Still no flowers yet.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

7george wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:57 am

Hardy Opuntia and different stonecrops grow well there.

Seedlings of smaller cacti not so well.

And another photo of that Echinocereus.
Lovely photos of the cacti growing in between the Sedum ( wonder if it is S.acre?) 😍