A Crassula?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Hero878

A Crassula?

Post by Hero878 »

Anyone know what this beautiful succulent might be please?

Jangaudi

Re: A Crassula?

Post by Jangaudi »

It's a Kalanchoe, probably Kalanchoe luciae cv. Fantastic.
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

Jangaudi wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:50 pm It's a Kalanchoe, probably Kalanchoe luciae cv. Fantastic.
:o :o I collect Kalanchoes yet had no idea. No wonder I was so drawn to it! I love it. But £48 pounds might be bit too much although it is really nice!
Thank you!!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Kalanchoe luciae is a very weird plant, not surprising you couldn't recognize it as a Kalanchoe. That is a steep price, but it's easy to propagate - you could recoup the investment by selling starts. :D
Spence :mrgreen:
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

greenknight wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:46 am Kalanchoe luciae is a very weird plant, not surprising you couldn't recognize it as a Kalanchoe. That is a steep price, but it's easy to propagate - you could recoup the investment by selling starts. :D
Thank you! Tbh I don't think I've seen this particular one for sale before. Usually it's those big ones which they call either flap jacks or red lips lol or paddle plant that have some pink variegation.
The ones in this pot have much smaller leaves and a different type of variegation it seems. Could be a rare one I hope.
I like your idea of selling offsets so that eventually the plant pays for itself :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Might also be Kalanchoe thyrsiflora cv. Variegated Desert Rose, which is similar. In either case it's a patented variety, so selling starts without a license from the patent owner is pirating. That's why the price is so high!
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

greenknight wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:46 pm Might also be Kalanchoe thyrsiflora cv. Variegated Desert Rose, which is similar. In either case it's a patented variety, so selling starts without a license from the patent owner is pirating. That's why the price is so high!
I guess that makes it special :) but Kalanchoe Luciae and Thyrisiflora look so similar it's hard to tell.
In terms of price I think they are generally just over priced such as these 5. Some of them are just standard K luciae oricula for £48 :/ but I suppose they are big plants and if you were to buy lots of smaller ones it could add up to £48 to fill a 25cm in diameter pot.
I did however pick up that massive K Synsepala because I've never seen one on offer with such big leaves I just had to have it :) although it does look a bit odd how the leaves bend outwards. Usually they are folded inwards. But I still like it.

Update I can confirm it is Kalanchoe thyrsiflora variegata now. But not desert rose. I just went to the suppliers website and found it as I know where this shop orders their stock from. However it is the 25cm pots so bigger than what's on the suppliers website.
https://www.cactusmania.it/boutique/kal ... so-17-761/
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Cool - if it's not the patented variety, you're free to sell all you want. Looks like there's quite a few offsets on that plant already, you could easily spare some.
Hero878

Post by Hero878 »

greenknight wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:32 am Cool - if it's not the patented variety, you're free to sell all you want. Looks like there's quite a few offsets on that plant already, you could easily spare some.
Cool thanks it does look great when multiple plants are planted together like that rather than singular plants. I'll have to start doing the same with my other succulents perhaps.