Strange growth pattern - help requested

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Zhanna

Strange growth pattern - help requested

Post by Zhanna »

Hello everyone,

Some background: I purchased this cactus several years ago. That first summer, it tripled in height from 12 inches to about 36 inches; it grew so quickly you could almost watch it add new spines in real time! Anyway, that fall/winter, all growth ceased. It still appeared healthy, and bloomed frequently over the next few years, but did not grow at all.

Recently I went out of town for several weeks. Due to the possibility of frigid nights, the cactus was kept indoors in a relatively bright sunroom. When I returned, I was initially excited to see that some new spines appeared to be starting at the growing point. But then (now deeply into the fall season in the northern hemisphere), the cactus decided to resume its previous growing speed, and shot up over half an inch in three days.

I really don't know what to do and would like some advice, if anyone can help! I assume this is etiolation, but I don't know how to get it enough light to grow properly at this time of year, if it insists on doing that. Is there a grow light you can recommend, that would be enough to get it through the winter, until I can put it outside again? I don't trust that keeping it in a dark area would stop the growth at this point!

Thank you so much,
Zhanna
PB050020cvx.jpg
PB050020cvx.jpg (142.51 KiB) Viewed 976 times
PB050024cvx.jpg
PB050024cvx.jpg (102.18 KiB) Viewed 976 times
PB050029cvx.jpg
PB050029cvx.jpg (70.57 KiB) Viewed 976 times
PB050032cvx.jpg
PB050032cvx.jpg (81.05 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Strange growth pattern - help requested

Post by Steve Johnson »

Amazon has quite a selection of grow lights, so check this out:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=grow+lights& ... _sb_noss_1

I keep my collection outdoors 365 days a year, so unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations. Hopefully other members using grow lights can guide you further on what to select.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I can vouch for the MARS grow lights. I have 3 of them. 2 are TS 1000 and one TS 2000. All 3 have dimmers.
I think the TS 1000 would work for just your one plant or of you have more they have other and larger options.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303781275599?c ... gKDffD_BwE
What has convinced me is the elephant bush I had growing under my gazebo last summer. I now have the elephant bush under the grow light at only 50% the leaves are growing closer together than they were under the gazebo outside. Proof enough for me. Myself I wouldn't buy one without a dimmer. Full on they are very bright. While you may need 100% the option to turn it down I think is worth the extra money.
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Thank you, Steve and Fred! I appreciate your recommendations.

I had heard positive things about Mars Hydro, so I will try one. One question: would it be best to give it a full, say, 12 hours of light, or try to match the timing to the current day length? Keep in mind that I don't necessarily want the cactus to grow during the winter; I just want to have appropriate light for it if it does continue to grow so quickly.
Download

Post by Download »

Zhanna wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:03 pm Thank you, Steve and Fred! I appreciate your recommendations.

I had heard positive things about Mars Hydro, so I will try one. One question: would it be best to give it a full, say, 12 hours of light, or try to match the timing to the current day length? Keep in mind that I don't necessarily want the cactus to grow during the winter; I just want to have appropriate light for it if it does continue to grow so quickly.
You want less hours per day if you want to stop growth.

Also I suggest placing the plant in an enclosure with a reflective lining to increase the amount of light directed at the plant.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I am in zone 6 and you are in a colder zone than I am. I keep most of my cacti in a west facing bedroom with the heat runs covered. Right now it's cool in there but not cold. I have been overwintering a few cacti and aloe in there for years. This year I have WAY more cacti. But I'm still doing the same thing. I only water them once a month (usually the first week of the month),and that is only a sip. Low light,no water,and cool temps make them stop growing. When it gets REALLY cold outside it does get pretty chilly in there. But 50 to 60 is probably average.
Wondering if maybe you watered yours before you left town and brought it inside to warmer temps and triggered it to start growing? Just a theory,but it makes sense especially if you gave it a good watering.
If so,now that you are back home maybe you can put it back outside with reasonable cooler temps and try to work on making it go dormant,and overwinter it as you have in the past several years.
I think a grow light might do the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish here. I am using mine for cactus seed starting,succulents and a few tropical plants. Not adult cactus.
I don't know just how your cactus should look,but it doesn't really look etiolated to me. If you do get one i would keep it on the same amount of time as daylight outside. Mother nature has it right. With short daylight hours it shouldn't grow. But if it does, with a grow light it won't etiolate.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

A cactus this size can live for years without water - keep it completely dry., and as cool as you can without getting it frozen.

I agree with FredBW, not really etiolated yet. It will probably always have a pinched in place here, but that's not abnormal with a columnar Cereus - you see it on plants in habitat frequently.
Spence :mrgreen:
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

Thank you, Download, for the suggestion to use a reflective enclosure! I have material that would work for that purpose.

Fred - everything you've said makes sense. I did give it some water before leaving town, never expecting it to start growing again (since it hadn't in so long!) and it was indeed in relatively warm temperatures indoors.

I will consider finding a spot to give it cooler temperatures. Perhaps the unheated bathroom that gets down to around 50, or basement room that can go as low as 38. I will give it some thought.

And Spence (and Fred), I appreciate the comment that it doesn't really look etiolated yet; that is a relief. Hopefully I can halt this odd growth pattern before it gets worse. This is one of my favorite cacti ... I love the shape, the color, and the flowers!
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

P1025092cvx.jpg
P1025092cvx.jpg (86.95 KiB) Viewed 897 times
This is one of the flowers. It's always so exciting when they open!
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

I can see why it's one of your favorites :mrgreen:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

If you give it a good, cool dormant period, it may produce more flowers. See: http://www.cactus-art.biz/note-book/Dic ... r_rest.htm

While a well-lit position is preferable, cacti can be overwintered in the dark if kept cool enough that they remain dormant. They should be re-introduced to the sun gradually in that case to avoid sunburn. If the area lacks ventilation, a small fan yo provide some air movement would help.
Spence :mrgreen:
Zhanna

Post by Zhanna »

I learned my lesson about sunburn the hard way, on a sad April day years ago. :( Always good to keep in mind!

Fortunately the area where I plan to place this cactus already has a small fan installed for air circulation. I overwinter some of my carnivorous plants there so he will be in good company. More flowers would always be welcome!