Root Rot ?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Amandaneedshelp

Root Rot ?

Post by Amandaneedshelp »

I need help I’m not sure how to proceed… my cactus has been leaning for about 3 weeks now. I’ve been in denial that it might have root rot but I kind of need help confirming if it does.

Also if it is root rot… what should I do?
CE4B9FCF-1CB6-472D-9CC6-9438ECA90FB0.jpeg
CE4B9FCF-1CB6-472D-9CC6-9438ECA90FB0.jpeg (326.36 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Download

Re: Root Rot ?

Post by Download »

Is the area around the roots soft or mushy? If so, probably rot.

That said, it doesn't look like rot has made it into the cacti. The roots probably rotted which is why they are so small.

There are two problems: 1) your cactus is etiolated which weakens the plant. It needs more light. 2) The soil is garbage and is far too organic. You can grow cacti in soil this organic, but it takes huge amounts of care with watering and good airflow to prevent rot. Or you can use a less organic potting mix and just avoid that.
Amandaneedshelp

Thank you so much for responding.
No it isn’t mushy at all. I normally have it on a window sill in direct sunlight with another succulent I have.
What can I do about the roots and what soil would you recommend?
This is my first cactus, I’m super new.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

First of all, see this:

https://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43819

Generally speaking, cacti aren't good windowsill plants for beginners. More experienced growers know which species are fine for the windowsill and which ones aren't. Although I don't know the species of cactus you have, it appears to be columnar -- not good as a windowsill plant. If you can keep it outside and give it plenty of light in the spring and summer, new top growth will be normal. Only problem there is that etiolation can't be reversed, so it'll grow on top of the spindly-looking etiolation you're stuck with now. This gives you only 2 choices:
  • Live with the abnormality.
  • When see enough normal new growth for some "cactus surgery", chop off the head and root it, chop off the etiolated part, and let the base grow a new head from the cut.
I realize that we're getting ahead of ourselves here, so before you consider either choice, you'll need to ask yourself a couple of questions:
  • Is the plant worth saving? If so and you'll be able to keep it outside during the growing season, repot it in a lean mix so that the water drains out quickly -- cacti don't like "standing in wet feet" all the time. My default recommendation is 50% mineral gravel (pumice, Perlite, crushed granite poultry grit, or calcined clay cat litter) and 50% soil. You could tilt a little more in favor of the mineral component.
  • If I can't keep the cactus outside in the growing season, am I growing the wrong kind?
Unfortunately, if the answer to question #2 is "yes", trying to save a permanently-etiolated cactus is kinda pointless. However, I don't want you to be discouraged -- looking up "windowsill cacti" on DuckDuckGo, I found a couple of links that should help take you out of beginner status faster than you might imagine:

https://windowsillcactus.com/

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-grow-cactus-1902954

Just doing a cursory check of what I'm seeing on those websites, it looks like some of the information is wrong. With that said, I think you'll find a lot of it to be helpful. If you live in the northern hemisphere, there's not much you can do now since cacti are going through their fall/winter dormancy period. If the answer to question #1 is "yes", repot the cactus in fresh dry mix per my recommendation and don't even think about watering until it starts to grow new roots in the next growing season.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Amandaneedshelp

Thank you so much.
I really appreciate you taking the time out to respond to me and I will definitely take your advice
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Amandaneedshelp wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:02 am Thank you so much.
I really appreciate you taking the time out to respond to me and I will definitely take your advice
Glad to help! If you need any further assistance, the forum will be here for you. :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)