Cactus from Madrid

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jfdocampo

Cactus from Madrid

Post by jfdocampo »

The photographs were taken in the outside garden of a cacti nursery. There were many species with identification labels, but not this one.

Regards,
Attachments
DSC_4179_redimensionar.JPG
DSC_4179_redimensionar.JPG (130.38 KiB) Viewed 797 times
DSC_4180_redimensionar.JPG
DSC_4180_redimensionar.JPG (162.48 KiB) Viewed 797 times
DSC_4181_redimensionar.JPG
DSC_4181_redimensionar.JPG (105.59 KiB) Viewed 797 times
Download

Re: Cactus from Madrid

Post by Download »

Very similar to a plant i asked about a while back and never got an answer too: viewtopic.php?p=393050
jfdocampo

Post by jfdocampo »

I'm not sure that it's the same species, but looks similar. I think the suggestion of Trichocereus chiloensis is not a bad one. I''ll try to go to the place in the spring to take photographs of the flowers if there are any.

Thank you for your response.
Lucy_V

Post by Lucy_V »

It is also resembling Eulychnia breviflora
jfdocampo

Post by jfdocampo »

Thank you Lucy.
Download

Post by Download »

Lucy_V wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:26 pm It is also resembling Eulychnia breviflora
Looking at my plant, I don't think it's E breviflora because of the flowers, but the flowers do look like E castanea to me. Thoughts?

Example: https://chileanendemics.rbge.org.uk/tax ... tanea-phil
Lucy_V

Re: Download

Post by Lucy_V »

E.castanea is another possibility, I agree. but it is hard to say without flowers. Even in the wild they look very similar, I had a chance to see them in habitat a few months ago. Their location and especially morphology of the lower tube help to identify particular species:
https://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/F ... a_castanea.
If this is T.chiloensis, it might bloom sooner in cultivation than either Eulychnia sp., I think.. let's wait and see the flowers :)
Download

Re: Download

Post by Download »

Lucy_V wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:40 pm E.castanea is another possibility, I agree. but it is hard to say without flowers. Even in the wild they look very similar, I had a chance to see them in habitat a few months ago. Their location and especially morphology of the lower tube help to identify particular species:
https://llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/F ... a_castanea.
If this is T.chiloensis, it might bloom sooner in cultivation than either Eulychnia sp., I think.. let's wait and see the flowers :)
I posted a photo of the flowers further down.