Discocactus horstii seedlings—slow loss

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
Jaybizzle

Discocactus horstii seedlings—slow loss

Post by Jaybizzle »

Hi,

Seem to be losing Discocactus horstii seedlings (about a year old) as time goes by. I think in habitat they grow in pure quartz. Should I try to make a soil of pure quartz and transplant the remaining seedlings into pure quartz?

Thanks.
Aiko

Re: Discocactus horstii seedlings—slow loss

Post by Aiko »

How is your watering regime? I suspect that is your first place to look at.
The type of soil basically is never the cause of massive death (unless it holds water for too long).
Jaybizzle

Post by Jaybizzle »

Misting once or twice per week.
Fatich

Post by Fatich »

Jaybizzle wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 pm Misting once or twice per week.
Misting wont be efficient for the small seedlings, it seems you lose them from dehydration. Water them well, i think.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I never mist. What is the point. Just splash the soil well with water every now and then and let the soil dry out fully in between waterings. Discocactus and Melocactus can take a bit more water than most of the other cacti. Chances are you indeed have not given sufficient water, and the roots have dried up (and they might not regrow well enough again).
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

First thing is warmth. They need 15C minimum to do well. If you can keep them hotter and with plenty of light you should be able to keep them going all winter. Just quartz will not be good enough. You need something to hold nutrients and some moisture. Some kind of organic material like well aged leaf mold or peat moss in with the sand. pH should be at least 6 or a a bit lower.