Pal x lumberjack help

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
San_Peyo

Pal x lumberjack help

Post by San_Peyo »

F969EB4D-3DAB-41A1-915D-30F29B35AE8D.jpeg
F969EB4D-3DAB-41A1-915D-30F29B35AE8D.jpeg (100.26 KiB) Viewed 555 times
I have a seedling and he is wrinkly and soft at the base with a little bit of yellowing/lighter green towards the base also. I was worried so since he is pretty small and in very loose substrate I carefully took him out to inspect the roots. There is no discoloration, all white roots and no foul smell. Please any suggestions?
Last edited by San_Peyo on Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
San_Peyo
Download

Re: Pal x lumberjack help

Post by Download »

Pictures would help.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

What are you doing for light? How much have you been watering? What temps is it living in?

Yes,it's hard for anyone to help without a picture.
San_Peyo

Post by San_Peyo »

ok so the spines are like that from shipping...

but temps are around 80-85 and also on a low setting heat mat. lights are two l.e.d. 35w and 45w one 10" above the other mounted to a wall angled at plants about 7" above. I got it about a month ago I waited about 10days to water after repotting and watered about ten days ago. upon the advice from someone at the local succulent and cactus society I bottom fed the plant tonight with a light top watering with a very mild fertilizer. all the other cactus from that shipment all different types are adjust pretty well, but I noticed my bridgesii hybrids are a little temperamental.

I edited the original post to show picture it's not the best, but you can at least see the plant going lighter from top to the bottom (top being darker and lighter towards the bottom). the wrinkles are not really visible sorry about that, but they were small to begin with and this cactus is really small still maybe an inch tall above substrate.
San_Peyo
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

If it is an inch tall. My advice would be to stop watering it. You say the roots look good so it probably isn't wrinkling from rot. So it might just be a little dehydrated. But if you keep watering it,and it is dormant it soon will have rot. I also wouldn't fertilize it any more. This sin't the time of year to fertilize. You know what they say about killing plants with kindness.
You don't say what kind of lights your LEDs are,or how long you are leaving them on. But my thoughts are this isn't growing season. This is keep them alive season. But I would just dribble water,or bottom water lightly every couple weeks to a month just to keep the roots from drying out. And hopefully if it makes it to spring it will recover and take off.
Hopefully more experienced folks will add their opinions here later.
San_Peyo

Post by San_Peyo »

Thank you for the advise and any and all is appreciated i’m new to the indoor growing of cacti and succulents
San_Peyo