Possible Overwatering

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
newcactusdude

Possible Overwatering

Post by newcactusdude »

Hello everybody, I'm a bit concerned that I've overwatered my cactus. It's turned yellow toward the bottom and the soil has remained wet for at least a month. I took it out of its pot in order to investigate it and I've attached a picture of what it looks like. Is there any way I can save my cactus? Thanks to anyone who can help.
FredBW

Re: Possible Overwatering

Post by FredBW »

You should really post where you live. But I will assume where ever you live it's winter. From the looks of the picture you caught it in time. You didn't mention any mushy spots.
I would leave it as is for at least a week to dry out,and put it back in new cactus soil with no water for at least a month. And then maybe just a sip every couple weeks to keep the roots from drying out. Do you know what kind of cactus it is?
But yea,if the soil has been wet at least the last month in my opinion this time of year you are lucky it hasn't turned to complete mush. If the yellow spots are mushy it might still be too late.
newcactusdude

Post by newcactusdude »

FredBW wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:20 pm You should really post where you live. But I will assume where ever you live it's winter. From the looks of the picture you caught it in time. You didn't mention any mushy spots.
I would leave it as is for at least a week to dry out,and put it back in new cactus soil with no water for at least a month. And then maybe just a sip every couple weeks to keep the roots from drying out. Do you know what kind of cactus it is?
But yea,if the soil has been wet at least the last month in my opinion this time of year you are lucky it hasn't turned to complete mush. If the yellow spots are mushy it might still be too late.
Sorry, I live in the midwest and it is winter. From what I can gather it's a Mother of Hundreds cactus. The yellow part isn't mushy, it's still pretty firm.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

So it's a mammillaria. No mush and pretty firm are good things :)
letting it dry out is what to do. It might get the appearance of a deflated basketball over a few weeks of no water. If it does don't panic and start overwatering it. Depending on where you have it. Cacti are supposed to go somewhat dormant over winter,and need far less water. Deflating is defense against cooler temperatures. Springtime it should start taking water and wake up.
Turkey basters are great for watering smaller cacti. You can better control just giving them little sips of water with a turkey baster. No more than little sips every couple weeks after drying out for a month is what I would do.
keith

Post by keith »

you need more drainage in your soil mix if it takes that long to dry , cactus should be Ok and you dont need to water until Spring
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

For the benefit of our new members, please see the following:

viewtopic.php?t=43821

viewtopic.php?t=46114

Since this thread should be in the Sick Cacti forum, you'll get more page views there. More page views = the likelihood of more responses from other members. I'm one of the moderators, so I can move your thread if you give me the okay. If you do, be sure to remember where you'll find it!

Merry Christmas, newcactusdude! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
mehranzour

Post by mehranzour »

Hello! From the picture you have provided, it looks like your cactus is suffering from overwatering and may be experiencing root rot. The yellowing at the base of the plant is a common symptom of overwatering, and the soggy soil is also a sign that the plant is retaining too much water.

In order to save your cactus, you will need to take some immediate action:

Remove any dead or rotting parts of the plant. This includes any yellowed or browned sections, as well as any soft or mushy areas.

Allow the cactus to dry out completely. This may take several days or even a week or more, depending on the level of saturation.

Repot the cactus in a new, well-draining soil mix. Use a pot with drainage holes to prevent the soil from becoming waterlogged again.

Water the cactus sparingly going forward. Allow the soil to dry out almost completely between waterings, and be sure to water only the soil and not the plant itself.

It is important to note that cacti are generally very resilient plants, and with proper care, yours may be able to recover from the overwatering. However, it is important to act quickly to prevent further damage to the plant. Good luck!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The roots don't look rotten, but it's a very puny root system - which is a sign the soil is too moisture-retentive. A gritty, free-draining mix will promote much stronger root growth.
Spence :mrgreen: