Pups plant in Spring.

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

Pups plant in Spring.

Post by JCcares »

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!

Easy Question.

In the Spring IS there a perfect time to take these pups? See images below.

I mean specifically should I do it before I give them there first water after hibernation? Give them a drink wait two weeks?

Thank you very much 🙏🏽
67615679-2796-4DBF-94C2-BF91A4CB1704.jpeg
67615679-2796-4DBF-94C2-BF91A4CB1704.jpeg (302.75 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
Attachments
8E2D7211-2A36-4B74-B98F-AB5CCCC1FC39.jpeg
8E2D7211-2A36-4B74-B98F-AB5CCCC1FC39.jpeg (263.15 KiB) Viewed 1266 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
LateBloomer

Re: Pups plant in Spring.

Post by LateBloomer »

Most people don't touch their cacti in the winter... I don't have extreme cold but I think winter re-potting and winter cutting is fine as long as your cactus is protected from extreme cold.

IMO you should take the cuttings now and not water until spring... UNLESS you have extreme cold and cannot protect the cactus.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

If it were me I would give them a little time to recover from winter before repotting them. Make sure they are in good health before uprooting their world.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Let them get growing a bit before taking your offsets. Gives them a head start.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 am Let them get growing a bit before taking your offsets. Gives them a head start.
Jerry what do you mean? You saying the offsets are not big enough yet? Thank you Jerry.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

LateBloomer wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:38 pm Most people don't touch their cacti in the winter... I don't have extreme cold but I think winter re-potting and winter cutting is fine as long as your cactus is protected from extreme cold.

IMO you should take the cuttings now and not water until spring... UNLESS you have extreme cold and cannot protect the cactus.
Thank you.

Where they are sir it never drops below 60 and I have this light for 8 hours. A couple of these guys bloomed last week.
6E117695-D836-4721-8D9D-310AC6F4A61B.jpeg
6E117695-D836-4721-8D9D-310AC6F4A61B.jpeg (216.18 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Unless you want to propagate more plants Joe why would you want to break up a nice clump as that is perfectly normal growth?

If you must I would take them off in the growing season in the spring and leave them a week until they callous over before planting. As Jerry says the pups will grow quicker on the main plants roots than they will rooting down when small. Therefore nothing is usually gained removing them too small, but it depends whether you wanted to remove the largest or smallest offsets?.

It is also often easier to remove offsets when you re-pot or de-pot the plant and can remove them from below having removed most of the soil from around the neck of the plant.
keith

Post by keith »

why would you want to break up a nice clump as that is perfectly normal growth? " yea that's what I say too , Maybe break off one tiny one if you want a extra plant. Thats a nice plant BTW

But I always root Cactus cuttings during growing season that would be Spring Summer not in Winter unless I have to and they wont grow roots until Spring if at all. Winter growing Succulents you can root now but not cactus. Its all frosty out here in Balmy Southern CA I have ice on all my Plastic coverings over my cactus benches plus on my Car windshields and no cactus are growing and some are very shriveled up. I think my Boojum tree is growing it must be a Winter grower.

I look out at my half dead grass after getting inches of rain knowing we will have a drought no matter how much it rains, So more succulents and more natives in the landscape.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I concur
Wait until Spring
If you take them now, they will just sit there until Spring, and then root,
and by that time, the cutting will have lost some volume and vigor

But I would take cuttings in winter if it's a last resort, like when the main head is rotting, since they can be kept alive until spring
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

JCcares wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:58 am
jerrytheplater wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:36 am Let them get growing a bit before taking your offsets. Gives them a head start.
Jerry what do you mean? You saying the offsets are not big enough yet? Thank you Jerry.
Maybe not clear enough. I mean let the pups recover from winter shriveling before cutting them off. Let them start to grow before propagating them.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

DaveW wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pm Unless you want to propagate more plants Joe why would you want to break up a nice clump as that is perfectly normal growth?

If you must I would take them off in the growing season in the spring and leave them a week until they callous over before planting. As Jerry says the pups will grow quicker on the main plants roots than they will rooting down when small. Therefore nothing is usually gained removing them too small, but it depends whether you wanted to remove the largest or smallest offsets?.

It is also often easier to remove offsets when you re-pot or de-pot the plant and can remove them from below having removed most of the soil from around the neck of the plant.
Thank you Dave. You said “Unless you want to propagate more plants Joe why would you want to break up a nice clump as that is perfectly normal growth?”

Dave I did not understand all this correctly. I thought it was healthy for the mother plant to REMOVE them. Like I thought it was best to remove the pups. I guess I read someones wrong article in the past.

So if I don’t have to remove them I am happy to just keep these as they are.

Thank you Dave.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

keith wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:44 pm why would you want to break up a nice clump as that is perfectly normal growth? " yea that's what I say too , Maybe break off one tiny one if you want a extra plant. Thats a nice plant BTW

But I always root Cactus cuttings during growing season that would be Spring Summer not in Winter unless I have to and they wont grow roots until Spring if at all. Winter growing Succulents you can root now but not cactus. Its all frosty out here in Balmy Southern CA I have ice on all my Plastic coverings over my cactus benches plus on my Car windshields and no cactus are growing and some are very shriveled up. I think my Boojum tree is growing it must be a Winter grower.

I look out at my half dead grass after getting inches of rain knowing we will have a drought no matter how much it rains, So more succulents and more natives in the landscape.
Ok Keith. I trust you and Dave over some bad article I read.

I am happy to not touch them.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

C And D wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:41 pm I concur
Wait until Spring
If you take them now, they will just sit there until Spring, and then root,
and by that time, the cutting will have lost some volume and vigor

But I would take cuttings in winter if it's a last resort, like when the main head is rotting, since they can be kept alive until spring
Thank you C and D you all have helped me so much!!!!! But I think in the Spring I will just let them B.

My favorite lesson learned here has been “when in doubt about watering don’t water”.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:07 am
JCcares wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:58 am
Maybe not clear enough. I mean let the pups recover from winter shriveling before cutting them off. Let them start to grow before propagating them.
Thanks Jerry. Got it🙏🏽
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Simple rule = If nothing removes them in nature that is normal growth! Also instead of just getting flowers on a single head as they grow larger you get them on multiple heads.

51_A. muscula2.jpg
51_A. muscula2.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 1146 times

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Re ... 237&ch=726

There are the odd very freely proliferating almost monstrose cacti like Matucana polzii that can be induces to flower more freely by removing pups, but Rebutia's should flower OK without.

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACT ... ana_polzii