Echinopsis calorubra?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Ilvin

Re: Echinopsis calorubra?

Post by Ilvin »

greenknight wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:15 am I doubt the sun in Perth is hotter than it is in the Sonoran Desert, where this comes from.
That was my first thought when I bought cacti... before I saw pictures of sunburnt ones. I have a couple of poorly placed crispy succulents in my garden too! Still, it might use a little more sun.
anttisepp wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:39 am Anyway I'd like to look at this plant a year later after adequate sun therapy with spines and shape more closely related to it's natural appearance. :)
Sure, I'll try to post an update, but I doubt it'll look a lot different. I've had it for 2 years and I know its grown from watching the new spines emerge, but its certainly not a fast growing cactus.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Sunburn occurs when you move a plant used to lower light to much higher light without acclimating the plant to the new conditions no matter where you are. Not sure if you know that or not.

What kind of fertilizer are you using on your cacti and succulents?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Remember also that Ferocacti aren't slow as a rule, they only need much space and enough water with fertilizers.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The difference can be quite dramatic. Here's my F. pilosis in early May 2013, when it had been getting direct sun for several hours a day:
Pic-20130502-002.jpg
Pic-20130502-002.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Here it is Aug. 20, after a few months in totally full sun, potted up to a 6" pot:
Pic-20130820-034.jpg
Pic-20130820-034.jpg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 380 times
Today it's in a 10" pot, and the stem is 6" in diameter inside the spines. They grow slow at first, but the growth rate picks up later if you give them an ample pot size.
Spence :mrgreen:
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Oh yeah, when I was reading about it a few sites mentioned they can grow slowly at first but will speed up. Its got space its pot for more growth at the moment - the cactus is about ~10cm diameter and the pots about ~15cm (6"). It looks like it has a little less room in the pictures I sent because despite my best efforts its not central in its pot.