Echinopsis calorubra?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Ilvin

Echinopsis calorubra?

Post by Ilvin »

Hi,

I've had a cactus for about 2 years that I'm struggling to identify. Since I got it from my local hardware store I figure it'd be a common species, only it doesn't match the common species found in your average google search.
Recently I stumbled on some Echinopsis cactus pictures that look very similar, only without the spines mine has. I'm fairly certain now its a Echinopsis of some sort, possibly Echinopsis calorubra, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm. It's never flowered, but then when I bought it it was the only one in the shop without mealybug so it may not have been well cared for!
20221203_102636.jpg
20221203_102636.jpg (84.86 KiB) Viewed 998 times
20221203_102641.jpg
20221203_102641.jpg (81.09 KiB) Viewed 998 times
It does usually have more fluff at the growth area, but I have a little bird in my garden that keeps taking away the natural cactus fluff, or any cobweb/cat fur caught on the spines.
MrXeric

Re: Echinopsis calorubra?

Post by MrXeric »

Looks like Ferocactus latispinus (or similar!) to me.
Download

Post by Download »

It's a Ferocactus, except that the spines are unusually small for most Ferocactus species.

I believe this is either Ferocactus pottsii or Ferocactus schwarzii.
MrXeric wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:04 am Looks like Ferocactus latispinus (or similar!) to me.
It's far too round for F latispinus. They normally grow more half-sphere. The spines are also unusually small for F latispinus.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Huh, a google search of Ferocactus pottsii has turned up a cactus that looks exactly like mine, so thank you I believe you're right!

Is there any particular characteristic that made you say Ferocactus? I ask because I actually dismissed ferocactus because it doesn't have the spines for it, clearly I was wrong.
Download

Post by Download »

Ilvin wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:49 am Huh, a google search of Ferocactus pottsii has turned up a cactus that looks exactly like mine, so thank you I believe you're right!

Is there any particular characteristic that made you say Ferocactus? I ask because I actually dismissed ferocactus because it doesn't have the spines for it, clearly I was wrong.
Though small, the spine shape is correct for Ferocactus.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Young very nice F pottsii. Needs much space and sun. Beautiful species.
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Download wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:36 am
Though small, the spine shape is correct for Ferocactus.
Thanks, I'll know to pay more attention to spine shapes next time I'm looking to ID something.
anttisepp wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:14 am Young very nice F pottsii. Needs much space and sun. Beautiful species.
Ah yes, I see that it can get quite large. It'll be nice to see it flower as it gets older.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Download wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:10 am
It's far too round for F latispinus. They normally grow more half-sphere. The spines are also unusually small for F latispinus.
Good catch, thanks.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

PS for sure keep in mind (as a small possibility) F. stainesii also.
It can be short spined in deficiense of light.
Why? I see the presence of untypical hair-like spines and also slightly curved central spines here.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

anttisepp wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:25 am PS for sure keep in mind (as a small possibility) F. stainesii also.
It can be short spined in deficiense of light.
Why? I see the presence of untypical hair-like spines and also slightly curved central spines here.
You've pointed out some significant details. The light colored arching spines remind me of an extremely light starved Ferocactus latispinus var. flavispinus
Download

Post by Download »

Yes, that is also a fair possibility. Maybe OP can chime in with where it's grown?
Ilvin

Post by Ilvin »

Its grown outside in a part sun position. It gets a fair amount of sun during the day, but as my profile says I live in Perth, Australia and I fear direct sun all day in the Perth summer might be too much even for a cactus.
It was inside in the hardware store where I bought it though (no visible grow lights). So while its certainly not light starved now, it might have been previously.
Download

Post by Download »

It should be fine to move into full sun if it's been out in part sun for a while.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I doubt the sun in Perth is hotter than it is in the Sonoran Desert, where this comes from.
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Anyway I'd like to look at this plant a year later after adequate sun therapy with spines and shape more closely related to it's natural appearance. :)