When to water astrophytum like adults?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
FredBW

When to water astrophytum like adults?

Post by FredBW »

As the topic says I am trying to understand when to cut back watering on astrophytum seedlings. Or any others for that matter.
My oldest seedlings are about 3 months old,and I believe I have some time before I have to really start cutting back on watering.
But i keep seeing very experienced people rotting Astros. From what i read the older they get the easier it is to overwater.
I have capricorn Ornatum Myrostigma, and a mixed batch of seed from mesa gardens all seedlings.
Is it something you just learn fro hard knocks, or are there any kind of signs that it's time to cut back?
I am only watering from the bottom so far. While they aren't exactly gleaming examples of healthy cacti, I am pretty proud they have made it this far.
I just have this gut feeling that sometime here in the future this will be their downfall.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated :wink:
anttisepp

Re: When to water astrophytum like adults?

Post by anttisepp »

3 months is a very early age, you can hold them all winter under phyto or usual bright LED lamps and give them enough water to grow. Next winter will be possible to overwinter as adults if you will not be very greedy for water in summer. :) My first myriostigma from 1980 (!) still alive and feel fine. Own ornatums are 2-4 years 'younger. They are bullet proof plants.
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

The saplings of cactus family should not be short of water in the first year. Until it grows up. When its body can store enough water. Water can be cut off in winter and summer.
This is just my personal idea.
FredBW

Post by FredBW »

Thanks for the advice. I will keep going the way i have been 8)