Season's Greetings 2022

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
leland

Season's Greetings 2022

Post by leland »

IMG_0001_1_1.jpg
IMG_0001_1_1.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
DaveW

Re: Season's Greetings 2022

Post by DaveW »

Same to you and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

macracanthus2.jpg
macracanthus2.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
leland

Post by leland »

This was a spotting trip to see this site and figure out where to park and where to walk to take the picture. I'll do a follow up trip with a tripod and hope to catch the weather just right when there are mists blowing across the cactus or at least pleasant morning sun. Interestingly, when I was viewing the pictures on the computer I spotted Mammallarias on the rocks. It will take a lot of lens and a tripod to document these little clumps. I also spotted access to a lush dry forest site nearby for future use.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looks pretty dense vegetation? It will be interesting to see what you find on the few rocky outcrops and what Mammilaria's are there?
leland

Post by leland »

I went back to scout it out. I didn't want to push my way through the brush but maybe on a future visit I can go down the road a little and ask permission to enter through a farm.
The Mams look like M. voburnensis from a distance. This is the same palnt David Hunt identified as M karwinskiana when he visited in 2011. There are probably 5 or more native mams but they have been renamed (and probably misnamed) and at least one may be just a long-spined version of another species. They are on my back burner as I am consentrating of epiphytes and echeveria right now.