Bit late, but Kiaora from New Zealand

New to the forum? Use this section to introduce yourself!
CosmicSerpent33

Bit late, but Kiaora from New Zealand

Post by CosmicSerpent33 »

Hello everyone, I go by CosmicSerpent, or you can call me Nate.

I am from New Zealand and have lived here my entire life, in both the South and North Island. I am a musician, but it is a hobby for myself, rather than a career. I got into horticulture years ago, particularly enjoying fungi cultivation, but I am by no means an expert mycologist. I have only recently delved into the wonderful world that is Cacti cultivation. I have only been at it for a few months and already my collection is getting too big for my greenhouse :shock: . I am here because I want to learn, and what better place than here!

Thanks for having me, and happy growing folks :mrgreen:
Last edited by CosmicSerpent33 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
North Island, New Zealand - Zone 10b
Average annual humidity: 80%
Average Annual precip: 1206mm/48.48''
Holunder

Re: Bit late, but Kiaora from New Zealand

Post by Holunder »

Hello Big Ol' Cacti Nate!

Merry Christmas and welcome to the cactiguide!

Kind regards
Holunder
CosmicSerpent33

Hey Holunder, thanks and Merry Christmas to you too. Cheers!
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

CosmicSerpent33 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:44 am Hello everyone, I go by CosmicSerpent, or Big Ol Cacti Nate. Or just Nate...

I am from New Zealand and have lived here my entire life, in both the South and North Island. I am a musician, but it is a hobby for myself, rather than a career. I got into horticulture years ago, particularly enjoying fungi cultivation, but I am by no means an expert mycologist. I have only recently delved into the wonderful world that is Cacti cultivation. I have only been at it for a few months and already my collection is getting too big for my greenhouse :shock: . I am here because I want to learn, and what better place than here!

Nice to meet you here

What interesting plants have you collected?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

CosmicSerpent33 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:44 am Hello everyone, I go by CosmicSerpent, or Big Ol Cacti Nate. Or just Nate...

Welcome Nate. Wow, just looked at your climate: 80% humidity and only about 3" rain per year!! You live in a humid desert!! Its hard for me to wrap my head around that. How can you have such humidity and such low rainfall? Where does the humidity come from? Ocean? What kinds of plants grow on the North Island? I pictured a lush jungle. Shows my ignorance of geography.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

Welcome!
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
CosmicSerpent33

jerrytheplater wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:10 pm

Welcome Nate. Wow, just looked at your climate: 80% humidity and only about 3" rain per year!! You live in a humid desert!! Its hard for me to wrap my head around that. How can you have such humidity and such low rainfall? Where does the humidity come from? Ocean? What kinds of plants grow on the North Island? I pictured a lush jungle. Shows my ignorance of geography.
Hi Jerry, thanks for the warm welcome. I knew something was wrong with that data, there's no way we only receive that little rainfall. Seems the site I used to collect the data is incorrect. My apologies for that, I will update my signature. Annually, we receive approximately 1206mm of rainfall, quite evenly spread. You would actually be correct in your assumption; lush jungle, quite wet and muggy in the warmer months. I live in a valley that connects to a coast, so I am a very short distance from the ocean. Some of my cacti have some mild oedema marks, but overall they are thriving!
CosmicSerpent33

Aztekium123 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:47 pm

Nice to meet you here

Hi Aztekium, thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you too.

I am in the process of getting pictures of my collection so I can hopefully get some ID's on them. I have species from the following:
Mammillaria, Gymnocalycium, Cereus, Echinopsis, Opuntia, Epiphyllum, Lophophora, Myrtillocactus, Pachycereus, Pilosocereus, Rebutia, and Weberbauerocereus.I am yet to ID all of the species, but I am getting around to it. I have several pachanoi, scopulicolas, some monstrose, peruvianus and some 'macrogona'.

How about yourself?
Aztekium123

Post by Aztekium123 »

CosmicSerpent33 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:20 am
Aztekium123 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:47 pm

Nice to meet you here

Hi Aztekium, thanks for the welcome and nice to meet you too.

I am in the process of getting pictures of my collection so I can hopefully get some ID's on them. I have species from the following:
Mammillaria, Gymnocalycium, Cereus, Echinopsis, Opuntia, Epiphyllum, Lophophora, Myrtillocactus, Pachycereus, Pilosocereus, Rebutia, and Weberbauerocereus.I am yet to ID all of the species, but I am getting around to it. I have several pachanoi, scopulicolas, some monstrose, peruvianus and some 'macrogona'.

How about yourself?
Your varieties of plants are much richer than mine.

I only have a few varieties, Aztekium ritteri,hintonii,valdezii;Ariocarpus agavoides,kotschoubeyanus, scapharostrus;Pelecyphora aselliformis;

There are only a few plants in each variety. I like plants that grow slowly, because I'm lazy, and I don't like to change pots often. ha-ha.