Should I repot?

Discuss repotting, soil, lighting, fertilizing, watering, etc. in this category.
jerrytheplater

Should I repot?

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have a Christmas cactus I've been growing for at least 10 years, if not more. It is still in the pot I bought it in, which is 4" in diameter. By now, the roots have filled the pot as the photo below will show. It does not look like there is any potting mix left, just roots. I know this is the correct time to repot since it is finished flowering, and I'm letting it get a little dryer. Do you think I should repot it? It blooms well and does not look like it needs it yet, but it might be getting a little top heavy where it can tip over if brushed the wrong way.

I water this plant weekly in the kitchen sink. I first drench the plant overhead on the leaves with rain water/dehumidifier water. Then I will fertilize with Dyna-Gro Bloom 3-12-6 at 1/4 tsp per gallon, again by overhead drenching. I have a bowl under the pot to catch some of the runoff to allow the pot to sit in it a bit. I then place the wet plant back in its western facing window. In the fall I place it outdoors in the shade to allow it to get cooler than in my house.
rsz 2022-12-24 Schlumbergera truncata.jpg
rsz 2022-12-24 Schlumbergera truncata.jpg (115.67 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MikeInOz

Re: Should I repot?

Post by MikeInOz »

Jerry, In my experience, these things should be repotted every second year. Not necessarily in a bigger pot, but to refresh the mix. (change half of it) They seem to stagnate if you don't.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

MikeInOz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:56 am Jerry, In my experience, these things should be repotted every second year. Not necessarily in a bigger pot, but to refresh the mix. (change half of it) They seem to stagnate if you don't.
Thanks Mike. I was just looking at my photo and the thought came to mind: Should I prune the plant while repotting? Maybe cut out 15% of the branches. What, if any, benefit would that give me?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
7george

Post by 7george »

I was just looking at my photo and the thought came to mind: Should I prune the plant while repotting? Maybe cut out 15% of the branches. What, if any, benefit would that give me?
I'd keep all the branches if these are not damaged or sick, dry. Old established plants look nice and lavish. Maybe transfer it into a little bigger pot - this will keep the moisture longer and this plant loves moisture.
Schlumbergera russelliana 12.JPG
Schlumbergera russelliana 12.JPG (153.18 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:13 am
MikeInOz wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:56 am Jerry, In my experience, these things should be repotted every second year. Not necessarily in a bigger pot, but to refresh the mix. (change half of it) They seem to stagnate if you don't.
Thanks Mike. I was just looking at my photo and the thought came to mind: Should I prune the plant while repotting? Maybe cut out 15% of the branches. What, if any, benefit would that give me?
Hi, Jerry. That's one great plant, especially to have gone 10 years in the same pot. It's a nice size, too. I've had success in growing them to about three feet in diameter, but in an eight-inch pot. Repotting is the right idea, but not necessarily into a significantly larger container--you're on track with the growing medium refresh. Pruning isn't really needed in these guys unless you want to shape/remove weak growth/reproduce the plant. Anything you remove is readily rooted; you could plant back into the pot with the main specimen if you want a generously large specimen. The repotted plant might set a ton of new growth--just a heads up. Mine did.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

In my experience, they bloom best when they're a little root bound. That one's more than a little root bound, a bit larger pot would be appropriate. I agree about pruning, no reason to remove any healthy, well-shaped growth unless you want to propagate.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Thanks guys. My sons mother in law has three massive plants at least 3 feet in diameter out in Seattle, WA. I am not looking for anything that big. I'll break it up or propagate and give the big one away if it gets to that.

I see what my project is for next week.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, they will get enormous. Our neighbors (long since deceased) had a laundry and dry cleaning shop in an old store front in town, in the front window they had a Christmas cactus that was at least 4' across by the time they retired.

If you don't have a lot of room, the most practical way to grow them is to keep starting new ones from cuttings, and toss them out or give them away when they get too big. Cuttings will bloom soon if kept tightly potted. I used to get a kick out of growing cuttings in 2,5" pots, the next year they would produce one or two full size flowers - had to prop them up to keep them from falling over from the weight. Put them in a 3" pot the next year, you'd get a bunch of flowers.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have a clay pot in the oven drying out right now. I'll be spraying it with pot sealer. This pot is an orchid pot having three slots on the side of the pot. I bought two bags of orchid potting mix, one with a lot of fines and another with very coarse chunks. I am planning to mix them 50/50 and pot them up in that pot once the sealer dries. I only use one coat and only on the inside.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ