What is attacking my Gymno?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
hiawog

What is attacking my Gymno?

Post by hiawog »

Not sure what I'm dealing with here. Very much appreciate your help!
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (161.86 KiB) Viewed 689 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (136.39 KiB) Viewed 689 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (96.01 KiB) Viewed 689 times
7george

Re: What is attacking my Gymno?

Post by 7george »

Looks like scale. Try to detach or scrape these out to confirm.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I was thinking those are water spots like what was posted recently where it was explained it is a function of over watering.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

hiawog wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:53 pm Not sure what I'm dealing with here. Very much appreciate your help!
See this first:

https://www.cactiguide.com/cactipests/#scale

Like 7george said, try to detach or scrape out some of the trouble spots. If you do have a scale problem, the best long-term solution is with an Imidacloprid soil soak. Unfortunately you won't be able to do it until after the growing season kicks in.

The humidity in your local climate isn't doing you any favors either -- what you're up against is something called plant edema. (I have the same humidity problem in my little corner of L.A.) The following article explains it well:

https://thesucculenteclectic.com/unders ... ucculents/

Soil-based mixes are still being used by many growers in the hobbyist community, but that's "old school" and IMO not the best way to go these days unless there's a very good reason for needing soil in the mix. If you haven't seen it before, check this out:

viewtopic.php?t=47632

I have a feeling that you're growing your cacti in a soil-based mix, so if that's the case, I think they'll do much better if you move them to a soilless mix.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
keith

Post by keith »

If it is scale it spreads fast so Quarantine the plant until you can treat it. Imidacloprid soil soak should do the trick but like others have said wait until Spring which is maybe a month away in your climate ?
hiawog

Post by hiawog »

Thank you all for the help!!
7george wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:17 am Looks like scale. Try to detach or scrape these out to confirm.
Yes, I can detach them, so I'm thinking scale too. I'm used to scale being white so the red dots threw me. These red ones seem to preferentially attack my matte-skinned gymnos, leaving nearly everything else (including the glossier members of the same genus) more or less alone. Thanks!

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:31 am I have a feeling that you're growing your cacti in a soil-based mix, so if that's the case, I think they'll do much better if you move them to a soilless mix.
Thanks for your advice. I use different media depending on the type of plant I am growing, and I have experimented with soilless mixes. I typically get the best results when I use 15-20% of a finely-screened and properly-aged leaf mold compost, but to each their own. My less-xeric gymnos in particular seem noticeably healthier more organic, richer mixes.

keith wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:34 pm Imidacloprid soil soak should do the trick but like others have said wait until Spring which is maybe a month away in your climate ?
Yeah, exactly. We aren't quite there yet.
7george

Post by 7george »

hiawog wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:35 pm I use different media depending on the type of plant I am growing, and I have experimented with soilless mixes. I typically get the best results when I use 15-20% of a finely-screened and properly-aged leaf mold compost, but to each their own. My less-xeric gymnos in particular seem noticeably healthier more organic, richer mixes.
The thing is that when we use unsterilized soil in our mixes different pests and infections can invade cultivated plants.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8