Spots on my succulent

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
Barrason

Spots on my succulent

Post by Barrason »

This succulent has started developing these dark spots since it was exposed to cold temperatures in December. They have gradually increased in size since they started. I also noticed the succulent growing some ariel roots aswell. The plant is currently dormant.
Attachments
IMG_20230211_171831.jpg
IMG_20230211_171831.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 558 times
IMG_20230211_171839.jpg
IMG_20230211_171839.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 558 times
IMG_20230211_171854.jpg
IMG_20230211_171854.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Steve Johnson

Re: Spots on my succulent

Post by Steve Johnson »

Please see this:

viewtopic.php?t=46110

Because you're dealing with a succulent problem, you'll get more page views and responses if you post this in the Succulent Growing Help forum. I'm one of the moderators, so I can move it over there for you if you'd like. If you give me the okay, just remember where your post went to! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
Barrason

Post by Barrason »

Steve Johnson wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:05 pm Please see this:

viewtopic.php?t=46110

Because you're dealing with a succulent problem, you'll get more page views and responses if you post this in the Succulent Growing Help forum. I'm one of the moderators, so I can move it over there for you if you'd like. If you give me the okay, just remember where your post went to! :)
Ok you can do that if you like
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

Your situation corresponds to another post around the same time from the UK, and one from Scotland as well. Both seemed to center around cold exposure. Once that damage occurs, there is little to do but grow the plant out of the damaged tissues. I note that you mentioned aerial root formation; were I you, I would consider a cutting to include these in starting a new plant. With a replacement started, you can maintain the base/stump to try to regrow, especially in the event that disease has set in. Doubling your chances, so to speak. You might also consider leaf cuttings to root individually, though this will set you back considerably in development but provide many new plants. With the last suggestion (leaf cuttings), you need to be aware that some of the damaged leaves are not likely to produce growth so much as wither and die.

It's a great plant, and worth the effort whatever you do. Best of luck.

Bret
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Barrason wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:13 pmOk you can do that if you like
I just copied your thread over to the Succulent Growing Help forum so you'll be able to see it here and there. Continue posting over there and check for additional responses. Hope that helps! :)
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)