Pachypodium soil mixes

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Download

Pachypodium soil mixes

Post by Download »

I bought a few varieties of Pachypodium today. I've already got P lamerei and P geayi which are in a 40% orchid mix, 60% decomposed granite mix (orchid mix here in Australia is mostly decomposed bark, with no peat). They're doing okay-ish, and have put on new growth now that I have separated them from my cacti to remind myself that they need a lot more watering than cacti, but I'm wondering if I should do more for them and my new Pachypodium.

I think soil could be improved, but I don't know much about them. What do people recommend for soil? Is what I am using too aggressive? I live in a Mediterranean climate, with hot, dry summers, and wet, cool (but not freezing and no frosts) winters (though these will be brought inside for winter).
Tom in Tucson

Re: Pachypodium soil mixes

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Pachypodium geayi and P. lamerei are the easiest species to grow from this genus. They're so tolerant, that they are used as grafting stock. I've got some P. brevicaule grafted on some. They'll grow in almost any soil. I would not add too much fertilizer though.