Nearly dead cactus

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
radman44

Nearly dead cactus

Post by radman44 »

I was on an extended vacation and came home to my nearly dead spiral cactus. I realize it is probably too far gone but curious what might have happened.
Attachments
Spiral.jpg
Spiral.jpg (83.33 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Download

Re: Nearly dead cactus

Post by Download »

I don't know your local climate, but I would guess that it was frost damage, allowing for some infection to enter the plant from the top down. If you live somewhere warm, substitute frost for sunburn.

It can probably be saved by copping below the infected part with a sharp kitchen knife. If the flesh is discoloured where you cut, cut off some more. Between cuts you should sterilise the knife with isopropanol or methanol or ethanol. The plant should then be left somewhere dry and out of things like rain until the wound heals.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Download wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:06 am I don't know your local climate, but I would guess that it was frost damage, allowing for some infection to enter the plant from the top down. If you live somewhere warm, substitute frost for sunburn.

It can probably be saved by copping below the infected part with a sharp kitchen knife. If the flesh is discoloured where you cut, cut off some more. Between cuts you should sterilise the knife with isopropanol or methanol or ethanol. The plant should then be left somewhere dry and out of things like rain until the wound heals.
Good diagnosis and advice
radman44

Post by radman44 »

Thanks for the info. I keep in outside during the summer but bring it into the house when it gets cold. Live in TN.