Trying to figure out if this is variegated or stressed

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Lactus

Trying to figure out if this is variegated or stressed

Post by Lactus »

Hello. I'm selling this Ariocarpus retusus x agavoides, and I'm unsure if it's variegated or stressed. Thanks for any help!
Lactus

Re: Trying to figure out if this is variegated or stressed

Post by Lactus »

Lactus wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:31 pm Hello. I'm selling this Ariocarpus retusus x agavoides, and I'm unsure if it's variegated or stressed. Thanks for any help!
Attachments
Forgot the photo!
Forgot the photo!
IMG_2805.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I don't know any variegated Ariocarpus. It looks stressed. Even more than just being stressed, I would be worried, it could be dying. How long has it been in this state?
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aiko wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:38 pm I don't know any variegated Ariocarpus. It looks stressed. Even more than just being stressed, I would be worried, it could be dying. How long has it been in this state?
I agree 100%
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:40 pm
Aiko wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:38 pm I don't know any variegated Ariocarpus. It looks stressed. Even more than just being stressed, I would be worried, it could be dying. How long has it been in this state?
I agree 100%
I'm not sure. I bought it from a private collector in a batch.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I would unpot it and check the roots. Is everything below soil level still hard? And are the leaves still attached, they don't wiggle when you gently put some pressure on them?

The Ariocarpus I have seen that looked like this were dead or dying. But in those cases it went from a good looking plant to this visual state in a very short time. Usually it was rotting from the inside, something you could notice quite well if the green leaves can be pulled off easily and / or the roots are soft or even smelly.
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

The plant looks and feels healthy. I just unpotted it and everything feels like it should.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

That slight variegation is common on Ariocarpus hybrids, and they are harder to keep clean looking, Miles2Go here in AZ has produced lots of that hybrid, I have a couple of them and look similar to yours.
Alejandro
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

A_G_R wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:00 pm That slight variegation is common on Ariocarpus hybrids, and they are harder to keep clean looking, Miles2Go here in AZ has produced lots of that hybrid, I have a couple of them and look similar to yours.

Oh great! Thanks!
DrPlantDaddy

Post by DrPlantDaddy »

Looks like it may have gotten some sunburn. That does not look like variegated Arios, that I have seen. The consistent placement of the lighter color around the plant, with newer growth not showing that same pattern are the giveaways I notice. Regardless, given the doubt, I’d certainly avoid advertising it as variegated as you search for a buyer.
----
Kane
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I can see variegation over new tubercles on your photo, which is called twilight variegation. The twilight variegation is not a true variegation, which is caused by a hybridization stress.

I do not know the intension of original creator but:
Retusus: white flower
Agavoides: red flower
He might want to make a red flowering retusus or a white flowering agavoides.
When you crossed ariocarpus with different flower colours, the occurrence of twilight variegation is higher.

Ariocarpus with twilight variegation is normally weak and the life is shorter. The ariocarpus on your photo lives very well.

The attached photo is a variegated lloydii. Since variegation rate was quite high, it was grafted.
Attachments
Ariocarpus fissuratus v lloydii
Ariocarpus fissuratus v lloydii
renzan.JPG (39.82 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There is a red flowering, or more correctly variable flowering population of Ariocarpus retusus from the Aramberri area known as Ariocarpus confusus. It seemingly has more acute pointed tubercles than yours though?

See:-

https://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CAC ... s_confusus
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

These are the same hybrid as yours:

https://flic.kr/p/2ohmMc1

https://flic.kr/p/2ohnVHm

https://flic.kr/p/2ohkqsQ

As you can see the variegation is different on each one.
Alejandro
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:37 am I can see variegation over new tubercles on your photo, which is called twilight variegation. The twilight variegation is not a true variegation, which is caused by a hybridization stress.
Thank you for that information Frank, now I know the correct name for that kind of variegation, and that A lloydii is fantastic! =D>
Alejandro
Lactus

Post by Lactus »

Hanazono wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:37 am I can see variegation over new tubercles on your photo, which is called twilight variegation. The twilight variegation is not a true variegation, which is caused by a hybridization stress.

I do not know the intension of original creator but:
Retusus: white flower
Agavoides: red flower
He might want to make a red flowering retusus or a white flowering agavoides.
When you crossed ariocarpus with different flower colours, the occurrence of twilight variegation is higher.

Ariocarpus with twilight variegation is normally weak and the life is shorter. The ariocarpus on your photo lives very well.

The attached photo is a variegated lloydii. Since variegation rate was quite high, it was grafted.
Woah. Thank you!!