Growing question, is my cactus going bad?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
SanPedro89

Growing question, is my cactus going bad?

Post by SanPedro89 »

Hi everyone,

Another newbie post so apologies in advance if I'm breaking forum decorum.

I had a cutting from a friend but the budding (offsets) process hasn't really started. The cutting had been exposed to water before it was given to me so it has a brownish, exterior, inside appears to look healthy and green though.

Should I be worried it's going to go bad or something? People mentioned buds should grow quickly if placed in light sun for a few hours daily and it's been over a month without seeing any real change.

Cheers
Attachments
330779846_3415498575405660_1216873620266930657_n.jpg
330779846_3415498575405660_1216873620266930657_n.jpg (53.94 KiB) Viewed 607 times
jerrytheplater

Re: Growing question, is my cactus going bad?

Post by jerrytheplater »

Hi SanPedro89

Welcome to the Forum.

I know Steve Johnson would post a link to the welcome thread for new posters. Please don't get scared off by me saying this. But, in order to give you advice that is worth anything, we really do need to know where you live. We have members all over the globe. Some are entering fall now, and some are entering spring. The best place to put this is in your profile. You can make a signature that gives other information. Take a look at mine for an idea.

Remember cacti are SLOW growers!!! One month for a cutting to put out roots in some cases is fast. You plant will not be able to put out buds or new growth until it makes roots and gets growing.

I don't know what you mean that the cutting had been exposed to water prior to being given to you. The top surface of your cutting looks perfectly normal. I wonder about the sides of your cutting. Was it out in full sun? Is that sunburn?

Your potting mix looks like it has a high amount of organic matter and not much coarse sized particles. Drainage is very important. Your cutting is also very low in the pot. I normally plant mine higher up in the pot. I'd be tempted to repot in a better mix and higher up. This will also allow you to see if any roots have formed yet. If you do and you see roots, you need to wait at least 4 days to let them dry out before repotting.

Cuttings will form roots without being potted. I usually wait to plant cuttings until I see buds of roots forming.

Hold off on repotting until you see what others have to say.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

There are actually a couple of orientation posts for new members, and here they are:

viewtopic.php?t=43816

viewtopic.php?t=46111

SanPedro89 -- I'm one of the moderators, so I can move your thread over to the Cultivation forum if you'd like.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

The brown markings could just be natural corking or barking if the cutting was a basal part of the stem and the green top section has been taken off to re-root? As most cacti have no usable leaves the green part of the stem is the only part that can photosynthesize but our plants are pretty resilient and you may eventually get a healthy offset forming.

However our plants can often stand around for quite a time (months) without rooting or growing so just leave it be since you will certainly know if it does rot, but it seems sound at the moment. Cuttings of younger greener tissue are always better though. An occasional mist spray will sometimes wake them up.