Dragon Fruit Root Rot?

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
DragonPete

Dragon Fruit Root Rot?

Post by DragonPete »

Hi everyone,

Looking for a bit of advice with my dragon fruit cacti.

The top growth has started to thin and looks a little abnormal. Also some brown markings have appeared around the edges, I’m something of an amateur so I’m just wondering if this is symptomatic of an issue I need to address? Any help/guidance gratefully appreciated.
820D40C1-C903-4B3F-80A1-C6EF1BF2D7F2.jpeg
820D40C1-C903-4B3F-80A1-C6EF1BF2D7F2.jpeg (97.88 KiB) Viewed 760 times
C9ABA079-B550-4B39-AC2A-91457D115B4A.jpeg
C9ABA079-B550-4B39-AC2A-91457D115B4A.jpeg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 760 times
Aztekium123

Re: Dragon Fruit Root Rot?

Post by Aztekium123 »

It looks like being bitten by pests, red spiders. Did you recover your health later?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Is the plant indoors?
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

Please see this first:

viewtopic.php?t=43819
Aztekium123 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:14 pm It looks like being bitten by pests, red spiders.
Actually, those are red spider mites, although I don't know if that's what DragonPete is up against.

DragonPete -- in case you are, see this:

viewtopic.php?t=42129

Call it "everything you wanted to know about cactus pests, but were afraid to ask". My presentation covers a lot of info, so if you don't want to go through the whole thing, scroll down to Part 2 -- pest mites. Then in the Part 4 - remedies section, you'll see the short-term and long-term solutions. If you live in the US, the long-term solution for pest mites will be right up your alley.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DragonPete

Post by DragonPete »

Thanks all, in answer yes the plant is and has always been indoors.

Is it the spider mites that are causing the abnormal growth at the tops as well?
DragonPete

Post by DragonPete »

Also, any tips on remedies? @steve Johnson, I see what you mean about the price of tetrasan 😮
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

IMHO, I think it just a bit of sunburn on the edges, inside the window, temperatures can get quite high.
The new grow is quite normal for dragon fruit varieties, they grow in segments.
Which species of dragon-fruit did you have?
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

DragonPete wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:57 am Also, any tips on remedies? @steve Johnson, I see what you mean about the price of tetrasan 😮
Yeah, if it wasn't for the Flytrap Store making TetraSan and Avid available in small and affordable quantities, I'd be stuck with having to use Isopropyl alcohol spray when flat mites come by for a "visit" in my collection. While they are less aggressive than red spider mites, they're still a pain in the backside.
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
DragonPete

Post by DragonPete »

Thanks BryanT, I’m not sure it’s sunburn, I’m in the UK and it’s winter here so the temperature indoors is relatively low and the sun low on the horizon for most the day.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

DragonPete wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:52 pm Thanks BryanT, I’m not sure it’s sunburn, I’m in the UK and it’s winter here so the temperature indoors is relatively low and the sun low on the horizon for most the day.
Even in winter, it's possible for the UV radiation close to the glass window to caused sunburn, depends on what kind of glass you used. Also depends on the species of dragon fruit you have. Some can withstand more sun than others.
It will be worse during warmer months, then you might need to have a bit of shade.
Sometime the sunburn might happen quite awhile ago. With cactus, they are tough plants, most of the time you won't know the effect until 6 to 12 months later, sometime even longer.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------