Strange segmented mutation in Haageocereus acranthus?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Download

Strange segmented mutation in Haageocereus acranthus?

Post by Download »

I've got this H acranthus that I have grown from seed. I got four seedlings from 10 seeds and only one is like this.

Rather than growing continuously from the growing point, every so often the growth will stop, and then a new stem emerges directly from the growing point, creating this segmented appearance. The first time it did this I assumed that the growing point was damaged, but it has done it several times now.

Before the new stem emerged, the growing point looked "strained". It was very rounded and smooth, with no ribbing.

I'm curious if other people have seen this (besides in cacti that normal do this like Opuntia)? If so, what is this mutation called?

MrXeric

Re: Strange segmented mutation in Haageocereus acranthus?

Post by MrXeric »

Very cool, especially if the mutation ends up being stable. There is a monstrose form of Myrtillocactus geometrizans called 'Stacker', and it grows somewhat like your plant, but the stacked offsets are rounder giving it a more Tephrocactus-like appearance.
memememe

Post by memememe »

Could it be some pest that reoccurs when the climate is right? Very interesing - would be a really cool mutation if it was one.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

There is a similar form of Borzicactus sextonianus that flowers whilst small. I simply think you would call that type of mutation "monstrose". However it also has a more typical longer stemmed unjointed form.

sextonianus1.jpg
sextonianus1.jpg (82.79 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Probably mine also came from Hoxey material as it was obtained at the Cactus Explorers Weekend in the UK where propagations of Paul's plants are often available.

For a more complete description see:-

https://bcss.org.uk/borzicactus-sextonianus/