ID 112

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
elquisco

ID 112

Post by elquisco »

Good afternoon
Please help me with this Succu.
ThanksImage
Attachments
5.jpeg
5.jpeg (104.23 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
Aiko

Re: ID 112

Post by Aiko »

Please see rule number 1 for posting ID request: viewtopic.php?t=45444
After so many requests through the years, it is about time you start to follow up to rule 4 and actually contribute to this forum.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Another help would be to identify where you are living in this world. You don't give this information.

My first thought when looking at the plant is that it is a common weed in my area called Lamb's Ear. Just did a search and see the Genus is Stachys. Then my next thought was, But does it grow by him?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aiko wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:30 pm Please see rule number 1 for posting ID request: viewtopic.php?t=45444
After so many requests through the years, it is about time you start to follow up to rule 4 and actually contribute to this forum.
I agree with your response. In addition to your request for this individual, I'd like to point out the following:
This person has not taken the time to inform us of his/her location.
The 2nd image is pointless,
I'm not even sure it is a leaf succulent. It resembles a composite weed with a felt like coat.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

jerrytheplater wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:03 pm Another help would be to identify where you are living in this world. You don't give this information.

My first thought when looking at the plant is that it is a common weed in my area called Lamb's Ear. Just did a search and see the Genus is Stachys. Then my next thought was, But does it grow by him?
In the Upper Plains/Midwest I was taught that this was something similar--skunk weed.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Minnesota wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:42 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:03 pm Another help would be to identify where you are living in this world. You don't give this information.

In the Upper Plains/Midwest I was taught that this was something similar--skunk weed.
Never heard of Skunk weed, but plenty of Skunk Cabbage. It will be blooming really soon. One of the really early plants.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

jerrytheplater wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:45 pm
Minnesota wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:42 pm

Never heard of Skunk weed, but plenty of Skunk Cabbage. It will be blooming really soon. One of the really early plants.
Yep, skunk cabbage, too. Early, and great stalks of yellow flowers. Except, we have a three-foot snow pack in many places, and mounds six to eight feet high where plowed. Bloom time isn't until June or so.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

There are two different plants called Skunk Cabbage, the Eastern Skunk Cabbage is Symplocarpus foetidus, while the Western Skunk Cabbage is Lysichiton americanus. Both are members of the Arum family, with similar growth habit and smell, but the Eastern type has shorter flowers with a reddish-brown spathe (the hood-like part) which encloses the greenish-yellow spadix (the club-like structure that bears both male and female flowers) with just a small opening to admit pollinators (beetles attracted by the stench). The Western type has a yellow spathe and spadix, and the elongated spadix projects above the wide-open spathe - a much showier flower. Both like marshy sites.
Spence :mrgreen: