Dialing down Copiapoa seedling care

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
EliWhitney3140

Dialing down Copiapoa seedling care

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

Hey everyone, I feel like there is a big boom of people growing Copiapoa from seed these days. I would be curious to hear what you have learned over the years growing Copiapoa from seed. Any tips and tricks you have picked up for better success. I am definitely interested in the first year or two of care. Anyone have anything that has really helped with their success rates? I think we would all love to hear anything that helps.
EliWhitney3140

Re: Dialing down Copiapoa seedling care

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

I am curious about lighting, fans, WATERING, substrate, fertilizer, baggy method, when you sew, preventing rust, I suppose everything.

I personally use sifted fine pumice and worm castings with a more course top dressing. I have experimented with bleach, hydrogen peroxide, sugar water for older seeds. I use the baggy method and keep them closed for around 3 to 6 months. Once my seedlings are getting spines I top dress them again with a more course substrate. I notice this seems to help with rot or rust. I have them under t-5's and on a heat mat for 24 hours for the first few months.
EliWhitney3140

Post by EliWhitney3140 »

I have also heard that sewing while the moon is waxing the seeds respond better.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I think it's worth keeping in mind that they come from a summer dry winter ''wet'' climate. (like the one I live in) It is suggested that they be shaded more and watered less in high summer and given maximum light and more water in autumn and spring which are their main growing periods. Also the soil should probably be slightly acidic rather than alkaline. They seem to appreciate a light misting with rain water every evening in summer. I am still learning how to grow them but so far I have not lost any to rot. They do not seem difficult plants like all the books say.
I sowed my seeds in the usual way at the usual time but sowing in the early fall is probably good. There is no need to keep lights on all the time. 14-16 hours would be enough. The most important thing with the seedlings is air movement all day and night.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

I grew several Copiapoa species from seeds, and to be honest, I don't really treat them any different than other species, at seedling level and first couple of years anyway. They seem to do just fine. Though germination rates are a bit on the low side usually.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I have some Copiapoa cinerea seedlings growing side by side with all kinds of other cactuses that I sowed in June last year

all the Mexican species stopped growing mid Fall, except the Ortegocactus

The Copiapoa started putting on more growth in the fall, and are growing now in the dead of winter, so I keep watering them

Also my Frailea and Uebelmannia buiningii are growing slowly through the winter
But the grafted seedlings are not growing in the unheated greenhouse, yet, so I'm not sure if watering all Copiapoas heavy in the winter is advisable
Wait til Spring
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry