Pediocactus simpsonii sowing

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
jerrytheplater

Pediocactus simpsonii sowing

Post by jerrytheplater »

I got some Pediocactus simpsonii seed from Keith a few weeks ago. Just sowed them yesterday. Keith suggested keeping the pot outdoors in a protected place, but subject to alternate temperature fluctuations, might promote better germination and simulate the mountains of Colorado. That is what I've done.

I used a very mineral mix with a small amount (5%) of organic from Sphagnum Peat Moss. Sifted it all through window screen to remove all fines. Afterward I heated it in the oven at 350F for almost two hours. I used an about 3" x 5" plastic tray about 2" deep with multiple drainage holes. I soaked it with rainwater, but that was not boiled and will have whatever microbiological life is in it. After sowing the seed, I covered with plastic wrap and put it in my garage. It gets bright light, but no direct sun. Let's see what happens.

Any thoughts-agree on the technique? Disagree? I want to hear them all.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
keith

Re: Pediocactus simpsonii sowing

Post by keith »

Hi Jerry, sounds good to me I have some seeds newly planted also. I have a new theory that filtered direct sunlight cuts down on pathogens that may grow on the top layer of soil. Not sure about that though. Once the seeds sprout they need filtered light, can't leave them out in harsh sunlight like tomato or basil which I'm also germinating . Rainwater is best . I always pull the plastic cover off ( not the big plastic cover shown in pic ) a few days after germination replace with window screen. These may take some time germinating last I germinated pediocactus was many years ago just left out in the rain and was surprised they grew.
Attachments
Pots under plastic cover
Pots under plastic cover
df.jpg (98.08 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Minnesota
Location: St. Louis Park, MN. Zone 4b, Great Plains/Upper Midwest

Post by Minnesota »

Hi,

The theory is partially true that light exposure reduces pathogens; the effectiveness of filtered sunlight becomes a question of how much ultraviolet light exposure really occurs in the environment. Ultraviolet light is used in healthcare for this purpose, although not widely due to its limitations. Great observation, Keith. =D>

Bret
keith

Post by keith »

You have to make sure the direct sunlight doesn't dry out the top of the soil. After they sprout you need much more shade but then you can use screen instead of plastic so air flow gets in the pot also preventing ( hopefully ) fungus. Sterilizing the whole procedure never worked for me all the chemicals and airtight plastic baggies, it just grew mold eventually. And using organic to stop fungus no it made it way worse. Could be I don't have access to the best fungicides but in California everything that works is illegal so what to do ?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

I do have Chinosol as a dry chemical (8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate). I read about that in Ed Storms booklet "The New Growing the Mesembs". He says to use a 0.1% w/v solution for an active infestation. (3.78 gm/US Gal of water). A 0.05% w/v solution for preventative use. (1.89 gm/US Gal water).

And, I just checked and found Ed Storms does not give the concentration of Chinosol. I got that from "The Encyclopedia of Cacti" by Cullmann, Gotz, and Groner. ISBN: 0.88192-100-9.

So Keith, do you have your seedlings covered in their pot and then covered by that plastic tote?

You say they need shade after sprouting? How much? Any idea of the time till sprouting?
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
keith

Post by keith »

Hi Jerry,

yes pots are covered in plastic under big tote for heat during the daylight hours and moved inside on a heating pad at night or cloudy days.

I usually expect germination after about 10 days. I use Physan 20 and hydrogen peroxide for fungus doesn't do much pretty worthless actually,
Dry air is best. Too wet seedlings rot, too dry seedlings die. just moist is just right. My seedlings often go into a check where they stop growing because they're too dry but at least they don't die. I do like to grow the easy to rot hard to grow species though . This is why plastic baggies at the just moist condition are favored for fast growth. I use to do it that way long ago. I can usually tell when the pot is infested with fungus or whatever by the smell , it smells wrong not a nice wet dirt smell. that and the seedlings are melting :D . At this time you can spray the crap out of it with fungicide but almost always it's too late. Often if your steady of hand you can transplant the seedlings out of this disaster into a fresh pot and they will be OK.

Baking your soil mix is a good idea it will help I microwave my pots of wet dirt- before planting !! If I had to do this for a living , sprout rare cactus from seed, I would go broke ! But its pretty fun and most of my pots come through OK.

I wonder if copper fungicide for roses would work ?? I used it on conophytum seedlings last year it kinda worked . Ongoing experiment always

Shade over 50% and if the seedlings turn red and stop growing its too much sun, if they are pale green and thin needs more sun. Nice compact little blobs is what we want to see maybe green or even slightly bronzed. Same for lithops if you want to try them.

And if they don't sprout after 2 weeks dry out the pots and repeat the germination cycle often this works for me.
Attachments
at night
at night
inside.jpg (67.52 KiB) Viewed 3010 times
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Should I be adding heat during the day? Some days its only 40 F now. Tonight its going down to 28 F and tomorrow day maybe 43F.

I have killed more Lithops than I want to admit. I don't think I'll be trying seeds on them.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

Sounds good, but day temperatures may be too low?

I sowed P. simpsonii last year and 4 of 10 seeds germinated. I soaked the seeds overnight before sowing with the baggie method, pot placed inside a storage box "greenhouse". Day temperatures kept around 90F, nights probably just above 50F. I also sowed var. minor but only a couple seeds germinated that died soon after. P. paradinei never popped up. I sowed P. knowltonii 2 years ago under very much the same conditions, only 6 of 19 seeds popped up (3 survive today, one of which is grafted). 6 to 8 days for the first seeds to germinate.

They all seem to want more light than other newly germinated cactus seedlings. keith's filtered sun set-up would work well I think. Towards the end of last year's summer I acclimated the P. simpsonii to direct sun and they took it well with no burning. I let them go dry for the winter too, still getting direct sun. They shrunk into the pot a bit, but still look alive. I just lightly watered everything today, so I'll see soon enough if they come back ok.
keith

Post by keith »

Some days its only 40 F now" probably too cold. put them under a plastic dome and the sunlight will heat them up during the day.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

keith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm Some days its only 40 F now" probably too cold. put them under a plastic dome and the sunlight will heat them up during the day.
I just bought a heat mat just in case. I'm using one already indoors. I can set it up outdoors and it may not get up to 80F or more like it does indoors. I can put it on a timer to shut off anytime I want. And I guess I can cycle it on and off multiple times during the day. I think I'm going to use it.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Here is the setup I made this afternoon in my garage. I bought a seed starting mat and set it up with a timer that turns it on for 4 hours at 7-11 AM. Off 11-1, On 1-3, Off 3-5, On 5-7, Off 7 PM till 7 AM. I'm trying to keep the temperature down below the 80 or more it would go to in the day if on constantly. I will have to fine tune it.

I had a LED light fixture I used over a 10 gallon aquarium for a few years. The LED is an early direct replacement for fluorescent lamps. I am using it because it will light even in the cold of my unheated garage. I have it on a timer 7 AM to 7 PM.

I supported the light fixture on top of two flower pots. The heat mat is on top of a piece of insulation which is on a piece of wood over the metal desk top in my garage.
rsz 2023-3-10 Pediocactus simpsonii seed setup.jpg
rsz 2023-3-10 Pediocactus simpsonii seed setup.jpg (98.98 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Time for an update, way past time for an update.

I started with 10 seeds when I sowed these cacti. At one point I counted 7 seedlings. But, clumsy me, I have kicked and bumped this seedling tray a few times which shifted the mineral potting mix and either uprooted or buried the seedlings. Even just tonight I found that the cloth row cover had brushed up against the seedlings and pulled them all out. I replanted them all and will wait till Friday to water them. I now have 4 seedlings and found what looks like three intact seeds. I've taken them out and dried them out. I might start over with them using the refrigerator at night.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
zpeckler

Post by zpeckler »

Oh no! Dude that sucks. I hope the 4 survivors are ok with the replant.
--------------------
Zac

Butte County, CA, USA
USDA Zone 9b
Mediterranean climate; hot, dry, sunny summers with rainy, moist, mild winters.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

zpeckler wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:33 pm Oh no! Dude that sucks. I hope the 4 survivors are ok with the replant.
They've been replanted at least two times already. I think my potting mix is too much mineral without anything to bind it together.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
keith

Post by keith »

I think my potting mix is too much mineral without anything to bind it together."

My seedlings are in 1/2 sand which is mineral but I don't know what origin probably volcanic . I collected the sand from a desert river bed which is mostly dry. New jersey a co-worker was from there isn't there a bunch of sand in the pine barrens ?