First Greenhouse

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
DaveW

Re: First Greenhouse

Post by DaveW »

Are automatic vents suitable for your type greenhouse or polytunnels though? They only usually work on a framed type opening vent, either wood or aluminium? I have automatic window vents on my greenhouse top lights and also automatic louvres in the sides and have not manually opened a vent for years. Our amateur ones usually work on a wax filled hydraulic cylinder that expands in the heat and works the vent arm. Commercial greenhouses often have electrical systems instead.

I am not sure if they are the same as are available in America since you tend to make your own wooden greenhouses, whereas in the UK we tend to buy readymade aluminium ones that last better in our wet winters without rotting after a period of years.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=au ... =0&first=1

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=au ... F8&first=1
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

greenknight wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:39 am
JCcares wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm
anttisepp wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:11 pm I have polycarbonate and aluminium and adore it. Some shadow from beginning of season till mid-july. Automatic window openers and small sun energy fans in the far corners. Ancored deep into cold finnish soil.))
I like the sound of that “ automatic window“ where you find one of those?
Widely available, anyplace that sells greenhouse supplies should have automatic vents. Google "automatic greenhouse vents" and you'll see a ton of them.

Here's an Extension post that will help you figure out what you need, it's aimed more at commercial-scale greenhouses but the principles are the same:

https://blog.uvm.edu/cwcallah/2019/08/1 ... h-tunnels/
THANK YOU GreenKnight!!! Your always so helpful 🙏🏽
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

Update 03/11/2023

Last night big big cold front came through GREENHOUSE still standing 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 3 of these plastic pvc clamps popped off but that was about it👏👍.

BUT wow thank you everyone for the heads up about the temperature inside the greenhouse conversation’s!!!!!

Today at noon the outside temperature was 51 degrees Fahrenheit and 89.6 Fahrenheit inside the greenhouse with the door closed. At 1pm today the outside temperature was 55 Fahrenheit and inside the greenhouse 94 Fahrenheit.

I just ordered a window vent. And Jerry your right I better keep an eye on my babies this summer.

Actually the ONLY reason I built the greenhouse was to keep the rain if my cacti. Every year in the past I look at the weather and Either use umbrellas or a wheel my Cacti out of the rain.
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

If you are only using it to keep rain off then you could see if you can roll up the sides. But then, the cover may balloon up and snap all of the clips and blow away. Think of running two bands over the top of the structure anchored on both sides into the ground. Someone near me has that system on an aluminum and plastic sheet greenhouse. They are using metal cables. They have wire anchors that screw into the ground so they can't pull out. I think she said they are 18" long.

That band for yours has to be wide enough not to cut your fabric. And it has to be made of a suitable material to stand up to the sun.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.