First Greenhouse

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
JCcares

First Greenhouse

Post by JCcares »

Cacti in greenhouses. Just how much heat do they love or best? Should I watch for over the top heat temperatures? Just what is to hot to much heat? What temperature?

Thank you VERY much 🙏🏽
C765F398-E480-43EB-8A22-ACC68F0399D8.jpeg
C765F398-E480-43EB-8A22-ACC68F0399D8.jpeg (263.4 KiB) Viewed 873 times
My name is Joe I Live in Hickory NC USA four equal perfect seasons.
keith

Re: First Greenhouse

Post by keith »

Just how much heat do they love or best?" Depends on species , desert cactus can take more heat but I would say around 90F is hot enough and 70F at night. Looks nice
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Joe. I am working part time with a friend that owns about 1/4 acre of greenhouses. With outdoor temps in the low 40's F and sunny, clear skies, it can easily get over 85 even before 11 AM. We need to ventilate by opening the roof vents and doors by 10:30 AM or so. We haven't rolled up the sides yet. It's tee shirt working conditions. If its cloudy or rainy, it is chilly inside.

So, ventilation is VERY important. And you have to be there daily to monitor it, unless you have an automatic system that opens vents. Be careful.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Nice for beginning. )) Hope you have anchored it well.
ohugal

Post by ohugal »

Congrats!
Are the plants already inside? Do you have some kind of floor or is it open at the bottom?
Anchoring is indeed important if it's in a windy spot. Plastic sheets catch a lot of wind.
temperate, maritime climate with mild winters and cool summers
hardiness zone 8a
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

It depends if the greenhouse is non porous material or shade cloth type that allows air in and out?

The differences regarding greenhouses and habitat as Jerry says are usually ventilation. I was surprised in Chile how windy it was in some areas at different times of day, particularly on hillsides where many cacti grow. The air flows up the hill in the day and down it at night known as Anabatic and Katabatic winds. On some hillsides they can almost blow you off your feet at times.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=an ... &FORM=VIRE

Therefore though our plants may get high heat in habitat they get excellent ventilation helping to keep them cool. From your greenhouse picture unless it is shade cloth or there is a vent in the far end the only ventilation I can see is the door therefore you will have to leave that open in hot weather. I would suggest you make a wooden frame to go in the doorway with coarse mesh screen or chicken wire on it to keep cats and birds out that fixes in the doorway when you need to leave it open for ventilation.

In Britain the popular choice for greenhouses is ready made aluminium and glass since timber tends to rot in our wetter climate. However the small ones often do not have adequate ventilation aside from the door, therefore some do make a mesh screen door for summer or some even remove a pane of glass for summer ventilation because the glasses are only held in by spring clips.

https://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Vita ... 8dc62a2e22

Polycarbonate is starting to creep in, but most are still aluminium and glass.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

I have polycarbonate and aluminium and adore it. Some shadow from beginning of season till mid-july. Automatic window openers and small sun energy fans in the far corners. Ancored deep into cold finnish soil.))
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:27 am Joe. I am working part time with a friend that owns about 1/4 acre of greenhouses. With outdoor temps in the low 40's F and sunny, clear skies, it can easily get over 85 even before 11 AM. We need to ventilate by opening the roof vents and doors by 10:30 AM or so. We haven't rolled up the sides yet. It's tee shirt working conditions. If its cloudy or rainy, it is chilly inside.

So, ventilation is VERY important. And you have to be there daily to monitor it, unless you have an automatic system that opens vents. Be careful.
WOW Jerry! Thank you! I’m glad a have a couple of weeks to figure all this out. But I didn’t mention it I’m planning on only keeping my many seedlings inside this greenhouse with the 50% poly cover. I better cut a window and add a fan after what you say Jerry. Thanks 🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

keith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:58 am Just how much heat do they love or best?" Depends on species , desert cactus can take more heat but I would say around 90F is hot enough and 70F at night. Looks nice
Thank you Keith, got it 🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:57 am Nice for beginning. )) Hope you have anchored it well.
Well you sound like you have some experience about the anchor part. What happened? The ONLY thing holding the poly cover is the pvc clamps you can see BUT the pvc pipes are staked 3/4 irons pipes 3 feet deep. A hurricane couldn’t move them.

But how about those pvc claps you think that’s enough?

Thank you.
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

ohugal wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:05 am Congrats!
Are the plants already inside? Do you have some kind of floor or is it open at the bottom?
Anchoring is indeed important if it's in a windy spot. Plastic sheets catch a lot of wind.
Ohugal we still have another week of temperatures in the low 30s so all my cacti are still in my basement hibernating. But I plan to wake them up slowly after this cold snap. Where I live in the foothills of North Carolina I get some pretty gusty winds. You guys got me worried about that now😂
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

DaveW wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:26 am It depends if the greenhouse is non porous material or shade cloth type that allows air in and out?

The differences regarding greenhouses and habitat as Jerry says are usually ventilation. I was surprised in Chile how windy it was in some areas at different times of day, particularly on hillsides where many cacti grow. The air flows up the hill in the day and down it at night known as Anabatic and Katabatic winds. On some hillsides they can almost blow you off your feet at times.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=an ... &FORM=VIRE

Therefore though our plants may get high heat in habitat they get excellent ventilation helping to keep them cool. From your greenhouse picture unless it is shade cloth or there is a vent in the far end the only ventilation I can see is the door therefore you will have to leave that open in hot weather. I would suggest you make a wooden frame to go in the doorway with coarse mesh screen or chicken wire on it to keep cats and birds out that fixes in the doorway when you need to leave it open for ventilation.

In Britain the popular choice for greenhouses is ready made aluminium and glass since timber tends to rot in our wetter climate. However the small ones often do not have adequate ventilation aside from the door, therefore some do make a mesh screen door for summer or some even remove a pane of glass for summer ventilation because the glasses are only held in by spring clips.

https://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Vita ... 8dc62a2e22

Polycarbonate is starting to creep in, but most are still aluminium and glass.
DaveW thank you for the heads up! I see now I have lots yet to accomplish to make this safe and happy home for my babies. Thank w Dave🙏🏽
JCcares

Post by JCcares »

anttisepp wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:11 pm I have polycarbonate and aluminium and adore it. Some shadow from beginning of season till mid-july. Automatic window openers and small sun energy fans in the far corners. Ancored deep into cold finnish soil.))
I like the sound of that “ automatic window“ where you find one of those?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

JCcares wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm
anttisepp wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:11 pm I have polycarbonate and aluminium and adore it. Some shadow from beginning of season till mid-july. Automatic window openers and small sun energy fans in the far corners. Ancored deep into cold finnish soil.))
I like the sound of that “ automatic window“ where you find one of those?
Widely available, anyplace that sells greenhouse supplies should have automatic vents. Google "automatic greenhouse vents" and you'll see a ton of them.

Here's an Extension post that will help you figure out what you need, it's aimed more at commercial-scale greenhouses but the principles are the same:

https://blog.uvm.edu/cwcallah/2019/08/1 ... h-tunnels/
Spence :mrgreen:
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

JCcares wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:49 pm <...> What happened?
I had light summer greenhouse about 15 years ago. It was windy day when I came home from work and found my greenhouse in bushes 100m far from my home. :mrgreen:
JCcares wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:49 pm <...> how about those pvc claps you think that’s enough?
Time and weather wil show. :wink:
JCcares wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm I like the sound of that “ automatic window“ where you find one of those?
Search something like this: Not expensive, very useful. I think available from USA also :) https://www.ebay.com/itm/314416119719?h ... R-zch4XaYQ