Which genera will germinate better if seeds are stored for a year?

All about seed grown plants. How-to information, progress reports, show of your results.
mmcavall

Which genera will germinate better if seeds are stored for a year?

Post by mmcavall »

Thats it. Which are the genera that will have higher germination rates when seeds are one year old, in comparison to fresh seeds?
I'm systematically harvesting seeds and sowing within a month or so, but sometimes I wonder if I should store the seeds for lets say a year before sowing.
Are there some genera that are notorious for its better germination whem seeds are old?
Thanks in advance
jerrytheplater

Re: Which genera will germinate better if seeds are stored for a year?

Post by jerrytheplater »

I have some seeds of Ferocactus wislizeni and Mammillaria gracilis that are now maybe 5 or 6 years old and I still get good germination. Seeds stored in my house in a plastic ziploc bag still in their seedpod. Room temperature. Nothing special. Both were given to me by a friend that moved to the Phoenix, AZ area back then. They were plants from his yard.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

With my seed order for Succulenta, I have received a couple of times next to my order a bonus mix of seeds that are probably around ten years old, just some left overs from seeds that were not ordered. When I sowed these, I still had quite a lot of things popping up. It is a bit early to confirm of what they are as they are still too young, but I suspect the seedlings that are growing are mostly Gymnocalycium and Melocactus.

And you can expect seeds from the cryptocarpic species to do well after a few years too.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Aiko wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:37 pm With my seed order for Succulenta, I have received a couple of times next to my order a bonus mix of seeds that are probably around ten years old, just some left overs from seeds that were not ordered. When I sowed these, I still had quite a lot of things popping up. It is a bit early to confirm of what they are as they are still too young, but I suspect the seedlings that are growing are mostly Gymnocalycium and Melocactus.

And you can expect seeds from the cryptocarpic species to do well after a few years too.
Yes not only the cryptocarpic species (many Mammillarias), but I've had better results from with older seeds of other Mammillaria. Older seeds of Opuntia (and kin) as well. As you apparently found out Gymnocalycium also get better with age. That's been my experience with the species I've ordered as well.
keith

Post by keith »

It depends Turbinicarpus germinate better if less than one year old. you can also sand paper big hard to germinate seeds to get around the seed coat that protects the seed of hard to germinate cactus.

Sand paper the only way I get Echinocactus horizontalonius to germinate.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

Thanks for all replies.
My question is: should I keep the seeds in the fridge for a year or so, instead of sowing them immediately after harvest? I guess it depends on the genus/species.
So what are the genera that will give better results with old seeds?
I agree that Mammillaria is a candidate to be stored. Never stoped to take notes but indeed old seeds of Mammillaria germinates very well, while I am not sure that new seeds gave me good results. I will pay more attention to them. Thanks!
Turbinicarpus was one of my doubts. I have had good results with fresh seeds but never stored them to see what happens. Apparently it is not necessary. Thanks again.
I have had good results with fresh seeds of Gymnocalycium.
What about Copiapoas and Eriosyces? And Rebutia and Sulcorebutia?
Thanks again
P.s.: I am waiting for my seeds of E. horizontalonius to arrive. I didn't know that they are hard to germinate. Thanks for the tip Keith. How do you proceed with sand paper (how do you know when to stop?)?
Thanks again, again!
keith

Post by keith »

Hi mmcavall, I have close up pictures of Horizonthalonius seeds in the long Escobaria minina post .

the seeds have a hard outer shell so 4 or 5 swipes with fine grain sand paper and the dark color goes away I stop there. hardest part is holding on to the seeds they can slip away so recommend doing it in a bucket or tray.
mmcavall

Post by mmcavall »

keith wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:06 pm Hi mmcavall, I have close up pictures of Horizonthalonius seeds in the long Escobaria minina post .

the seeds have a hard outer shell so 4 or 5 swipes with fine grain sand paper and the dark color goes away I stop there. hardest part is holding on to the seeds they can slip away so recommend doing it in a bucket or tray.
Just perfect! Thank you