Square plant pots

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
gillinger

Square plant pots

Post by gillinger »

I'm looking for good quality 2.5 - 3in pots here in the UK. A lot of what I've seen on Amazon or Ebay look thin and flimsy and not likely to last very long. Does anyone have any suggestions where can buy them?
Thanks.
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"
Tom in Tucson

Re: Square plant pots

Post by Tom in Tucson »

I know in the UK that BEF pots have been the most popular for many years. The company making them went out of business some time ago, but this site may be a possibility.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

I have used square BEF polypropylene pots for years. In the UK we regarded them as the "Rolls-Royce" of pots compared to the polystyrene ones mostly used that degenerated in a couple of years use in the greenhouse. I am still using some which must be 30 years old and only the odd one is now going on the rim most exposed to the sun for many years.. They are now made of polyethylene which is supposedly as long lasting.

When the original firm packed up their square and round pots were taken over by various people. The latest information I can find on their sale in the UK is in the link below, plus their history. As Tom's link also indicates Williams Cacti now seems to be selling them.

https://manchester.bcss.org.uk/bef-pots/

The requirements for pots tend to be different for Succulent hobbyists since we require long life without rapid Ultra Violet (UV) degradation in the greenhouse. Whereas for many gardeners and the nursery trade pots are only needed as a temporary container for about a year or so until the plant is sold or planted out, so brittle and shorter life polystyrene ones are sufficient. Therefore for most gardeners and the trade the cheaper brittle polystyrene ones serve their purpose.
gillinger

Post by gillinger »

Cheers, guys. I'll check out your suggestions
"Once in a while you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"