Aloe? Aloiampelos?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Salazar

Aloe? Aloiampelos?

Post by Salazar »

So I've had this plant for a few years now, never really did well but it's been thriving the past year since I started paying more attention to it 😅 and has started to grow 6 new offsets. I never had a solid conclusion to it's identity but now I want to know what it actually is

I believe it's an Aloiampelos but I just can't quite pinpoint which one. Every other species I looked at had much longer internodes and retained much more leaves along the stem than this one.This is more like a rosette on a stick. The leaf striations are also much more pronounced than the ones of the photos I've seen, maybe a difference in juvenile and adult leaf patterns? The older leaves bend downward and actually slightly tear off before drying up completely and the leaf remnants are pretty firmly attached and don't come off naturally.
Oh btw this plant is only a few inches tall, 2-2.5 inches on the tallest stem.

Also I can't remember if it always had a stalk, apparently I never photographed it until quite recently. I do however vaguely remember buying it under the assumption it was an Aloe striata so maybe it was stemless before?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
IMG20230417003427_copy_800x800.jpg
IMG20230417003427_copy_800x800.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
IMG20230417003446_copy_800x800.jpg
IMG20230417003446_copy_800x800.jpg (148.48 KiB) Viewed 4025 times
Jangaudi

Re: Aloe? Aloiampelos?

Post by Jangaudi »

The color and striation reminds a lot of Aloe ibitiensis. In the description on llifle is says it usually does not grow many leaves at the same time. It wouldn't really have much of a stem, though older plants that have dropped their older leaves will eventually develop a bit of a stem I guess. I did find a few pictures online clearly showing a stem. I'm sowing them right now, mainly like the species because of their bright color :)
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

I had considered this at one time but aside from the leaves it doesn't really have anything similar with A. ibitiensis

Oh I just remembered another species that looks similar, A. deltoideodonta, could that be it?
Last edited by Salazar on Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jangaudi

Post by Jangaudi »

Actually there seems to be 2 variantions that also look similar, Aloe deltoideodonta v. candicans and Aloe deltoideodonta v. fallax. It's also a Madagascar species. They might develop more of a stem than ibitiensis does, so could be this one...
Salazar

Post by Salazar »

Ah yes I meant those two varieties. Sorry I didn't specify. I only realized that there were two similar varieties after I had already responded and never got around to edit my response.