Cactus of the Month

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
hob

Post by hob »

July is done, there is surprisingly little objective information about Espostoopsis dybowskii on the web :? it took me about 6 hours searching to get all the info i needed to put that together :shock: :shock: and its fairly basic stuff.

desert tropicals was a waste of time :? the images they show look nothing like it :shock: :shock:

ah well, done now.......anyone who can see any glaring mistakes please let me know :?
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

hob wrote: the images they show look nothing like it
That said, it is possible that those are actually correct images of the plant. I share your doubts, but because this thing is so elusive I wouldn't say for sure.

It was a good choice as often as it comes up, especially.
All Cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are Cacti
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

Good one Hob! Nice to see the lowly Rhipsalis get a little love! :)
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Thanks Hob. I am fascinated by those translucent flower petals!
It’s not the fall that kills you; it’s the sudden stop at the end.
Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
daiv
Site Admin

Post by daiv »

I see the new ones Hob! Great!
tracyk859

Post by tracyk859 »

Thanks for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

This statement on the Gymnocalycium mihanovichii page: "This is the plant that is seen all over the world in multi coloured forms grafted onto Hylocereus", is it really correct? All flowers I have seen on these have been pink.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

luddhus, I think the statement of "multi colored forms" refers to the gamma-ray zapped bright red or yellow skinned grafts, not the flowers.

By the way, I do have one with a yellow-green flower. I think the pink flowered one is G stenopleurum, but it is one of those plants that have a maddening nonclemature as to who is a sp, ssp, var, cv, etc....

Shmuel
Last edited by Shmuel on Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

I think everyone should read the very first post in this topic from eduart dated August 2005!!!!
:clock:
\:D/
Shmuel
Amazing cacti!
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

Shmuel wrote:luddhus, I think the statement of "multi colored forms" refers to the gamma-ray zapped bright red or yellow skinned grafts, not the flowers.
I know, but the flowers are described as "greeny brown".
hob

Post by hob »

luddhus wrote:This statement on the Gymnocalycium mihanovichii page: "This is the plant that is seen all over the world in multi coloured forms grafted onto Hylocereus", is it really correct? All flowers I have seen on these have been pink.
luddhus wrote:
Shmuel wrote:luddhus, I think the statement of "multi colored forms" refers to the gamma-ray zapped bright red or yellow skinned grafts, not the flowers.
I know, but the flowers are described as "greeny brown".
thanks for your input, there seems to be some confusion in this section of Gymnocalycium, http://www.cactus-art.biz describes it this way.

Gymnocalycium friedrichii and G. stenopleurum are sometimes combined with G. mihanovichii, and sometimes kept as separate species. The main distinctions of G. friedrichii and G. stenopleurum from G. mihanovichii are:

G. friedrichii has prevalently purplish pink, wide open flowers and well-pronounced polymorphism of spines. Besides it has tall slender ribs and roller-shaped prominent thickening around areoles.

G. mihanovichii has wider, lower ribs, in juvenile plants divided into separate chins, in maturity every rib have flat surface and a pleat above each areole. But the essential thing is its pale or brownish-yellow, not fully opening flower.

G.stenopleurum Has white, fully opening flowers.

But many intermediate forms are also known and nowadays it is suggested that all should be combined into only one variable species.

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/GYMNOC ... vichii.htm

cactiguide lists it this way

Taxonomy for Gymnocalycium mihanovichii, its infra species, and synonyms.
Name - Author - Publication - Year
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii
Britton & Rose
Published: Cactaceae (Britton & Rose) 05:33:00 AM 1922 [12 Oct 1922] [ IPNI ]
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. albiflorum
Pazout
Published: Friciana 111/17: 5 1963 [ IPNI ]
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. filadelfiense
Backeb.
Published: Kakteenlexikon 170 1966 [ IPNI ]
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii var. friedrichii
Werderm.
Published: Repert. Spec. Nov. Regni Veg. Sonderbeih. C Lief. 29, tab. 113 1936 [ IPNI ]
Gymnocalycium mihanovichii f. nigrum
Y.Itô
Published: Cactaceae [Itô] 409, without type 1981 [ IPNI ]
Synonym Data
Gymnocalycium stenopleurum
F.Ritter
Published: Kakteen Südamerika 1: 265 (1979) 1979 [ IPNI ]

http://www.cactiguide.com/ipni_name_dat ... e_key=2089

maybe I should do a re-write including the var friedrichii and var stenopleurum :?:

I have an image of var friedrichii (pink flower) does anyone have an image of var stenopleurum (white flower) that i could use :?:
incurable cactoholic
growing rebutia's with a mix of others.
hob

Post by hob »

Cactus of the month for December 2010 is now on the board, this completes 6 years of this feature. To celebrate this milestone i added a few extra images.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19662

The first 3 years owe a great deal to the originator of Cactus of the Month, John Chippindale, his knowledge of the plants and his computer skills played a big part in helping to set up Cactiguide long before i joined the forum, Cactus of the Month was his idea and he wrote the first 36 pages of this feature.

i am proud to have followed in his footsteps, albeit with a lot less knowledge but a fair bit of computer savvy, to have completed the same number of topics as John.

together we are pleased to present 72 pages of Cactus of the Month.

http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
luddhus

Post by luddhus »

hob wrote:maybe I should do a re-write including the var friedrichii and var stenopleurum :?:
I think it is a good idea to have them in one place. :thumbup:
Tony

Post by Tony »

Congradulations Hob, you have done a great job! :thumbright:

This is the best image I could find of this plant that produces a mostly white flower, you can use it if you dont get a better one.Image
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

This is great! LOL I guess my pink stenopleurum is really freidrichii! Live and learn. :D

Shmuel
Amazing cacti!