Aloe advice

Anything relating to Succulents that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Everett78

Aloe advice

Post by Everett78 »

Hello to you all.
I have a problem with an Aloe recurvifolia .It is over two metres tall and leaning at a dangerous angle. Though I have it secured with a support it needs to be fixed properly.I've tried to pull it upright again but it's rooted too tight to move it and because the stem is curved in two different directions it wouldn't stay upright anyway.Does anybody know would the head root if I cut it off as I don't see any other way of keeping it going?I searched online but couldn' t see any mention of it being propagated from a cutting.Can anyone advise me please.
Everett.
anttisepp

Re: Aloe advice

Post by anttisepp »

I haven't experience with tree aloes, but others root very easily.
Do you give enough sunlight? leaning problem may be due to shadow place. Strong direct sunlight provides thick firm stem.
BryanT

Post by BryanT »

Yes, you can root them from stem cutting, as you do with most succulents.
If you search for propagating tree aloe from stem cuttings, you should be able to find some information.
Bryan
---------------------------------------------------
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

Everett78 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 6:34 am Hello to you all.
I have a problem with an Aloe recurvifolia .It is over two metres tall and leaning at a dangerous angle. Though I have it secured with a support it needs to be fixed properly.I've tried to pull it upright again but it's rooted too tight to move it and because the stem is curved in two different directions it wouldn't stay upright anyway.Does anybody know would the head root if I cut it off as I don't see any other way of keeping it going?I searched online but couldn' t see any mention of it being propagated from a cutting.Can anyone advise me please.
Everett.
Yes you can get it to root. I would advise cutting it a few of inches below the lowest leaves and letting it dry out and start to push out a few roots before planting it. Try to support it in an upright position without the cut touching the ground. Better if you can grow it in a sand bed for a season before moving into it's final position unless you have very well drained soil. I have done this with thraskii and barberae.
Everett78

Post by Everett78 »

Thanks to you all.
Mike in oz ,That is interesting what you've done with other tree species.I'll cut the crown off and take a chance on it .I usually just leave large succulent cuttings sitting in a clay pot or pan for a month or two before potting into about 70-80% grit ,
Thanks again Everett