Handy Gizmos

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Carpkel

Re: Handy Gizmos

Post by Carpkel »

I found out that I could wrap a large, hooked ferocactus with a soda/ pop carton which made it easier to repot. I cut the carton flat and wrapped around the cactus and taped it in place. I had no flesh wounds:)
westfork

Post by westfork »

Stout weeding knives make short work of invaders in thick rock mulch. Easy to stab through the rocks and cut the roots without disturbing the rock layer or mixing up the soil beneath. Stainless steel so it can be left outside near the berms so it is handy when passing by and spot weeds.
M3IMG_4640 sm.jpg
M3IMG_4640 sm.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
It is basically a short sharpened pry bar.
Iowa / South Dakota border area. USDA zone 4b/5a Heat zone 6-7
7george

Post by 7george »

jaja_2544.JPG
jaja_2544.JPG (46.08 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Jaji_43.JPG
Jaji_43.JPG (75.1 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
I've got several boxes of useful stuff. Especially want to share the use of big bbq dropper for watering of small hard-to-reach pots.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Those pliers with lense & light are interesting. Where can you get something that fancy, please? How are they called?
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
keith

Post by keith »

Even breaking the old pot at times to avoid damaging the plant. This may be sacrilege to Americans exhibitors who grow in fancy pots, but in the UK the plant is always considered more valuable than the container and we don't usually grow in fancy pots ours being cactus rather than ceramics shows."

Yea I wondered about that too ? I use plain clay or plastic pots depending on the size and species of cactus and usually sacrifice the pot over the plant . If I can fit a plastic pot in a clay pot I do that since plastic pots get brittle . I have all those other tools plus many sizes of spoons and small pump hand sprayers the type that pump up with air and spray water for a few seconds the other kind the constant hand pump kinds I find wear out really fast.
Steve Johnson

Post by Steve Johnson »

keith wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:46 pm...and small pump hand sprayers the type that pump up with air and spray water for a few seconds the other kind the constant hand pump kinds I find wear out really fast.
You're sure right about that, so I'll have to get a few of the kind you're talking about. Howzabout this?

https://www.amazon.com/Russell-1010-Ins ... 64&sr=8-39

I use hand sprayers mostly to spray the Avid and TetraSan miticides I apply whenever I see flat mites showing up on some of my cacti, so those 1-liter sprayers I'm seeing on Amazon should be perfect. Thanks for the tip, Keith!
If you just want photos without all the blather, please visit my Flickr gallery.
My location: Los Angeles, CA (Zone 10b)
7george

Post by 7george »

nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:49 pm Those pliers with lense & light are interesting. Where can you get something that fancy, please? How are they called?
That was a set with a lamp from COSTCO but not seen there after years ago. Now sold by many online hubs incl. Amazon.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Steve Johnson wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:06 am Howzabout this?
https://www.amazon.com/Russell-1010-Ins ... 64&sr=8-39
Hello Steve,
there are pump-hand sprayers where you first build up pressure using a pump-button on top. Then you just press the handle very slightly and the fluid is sprayed in a constant rain, even in different strengths. This is why I like the
sprayers by Würth. Much less work than the standard, very ergonomic. Sorry, it is hard for me to explain that. :oops:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

7george wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:13 pm
nachtkrabb wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:49 pm Those pliers with lense & light are interesting. Where can you get something that fancy, please? How are they called?
That was a set with a lamp from COSTCO but not seen there after years ago. Now sold by many online hubs incl. Amazon.
Great, thank you, 7george. :D I am going to get one of those.
I have just had a look & yes, it is easy to get something that convenient. Only one has to take care that there is a lamp included, and that the lens does more than just a double magnification. :roll:
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
C And D

Post by C And D »

We use alot these bamboo skewers for propping up plants, or poking seedling around
and of course a home made seed vacuum, mouth powered
IMG_1130.JPG
IMG_1130.JPG (73.57 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

C And D wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:02 pm We use alot these bamboo skewers for propping up plants, or poking seedling around
and of course a home made seed vacuum, mouth powered
IMG_1130.JPG
I love that vacuum! I see the offset in the tubes so they are not in line. Do you ever get any seeds in your mouth? I suppose you could put some cotton balls or a fine mesh screen in there to prevent that.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
C And D

Post by C And D »

I get a couple seeds in my mouth all the time
a cotton ball in the upper section is a perfect solution

Apparently, I inadvertently eat all kinds of seeds and fruit debris
When cleaning seeds, I wet the tweezers in my mouth, then pick out the non-seed extra stuff,
it sticks to the wet tweezers, then to dislodge the crap, I just lick them again for the next grab

Craig and Denise Fry
C And D

Post by C And D »

These new tie bags with silkish mesh are perfect for Euphorbia seed catch
Ed Reed, our favorite OC succulent grower, who runs the CSUF arboretum turned us on to them
Euphorbia tulearensis
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1136.JPG (84.95 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG (68.3 KiB) Viewed 2880 times

Craig and Denise Fry
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

C And D wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:04 am These new tie bags with silkish mesh are perfect for Euphorbia seed catch
Ed Reed, our favorite OC succulent grower, who runs the CSUF arboretum turned us on to them
Euphorbia tulearensis
IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
Nice E. tulearensis!! How old is it?

My wife says Organza bags are used for wedding favors when filled with little things like candy or things.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

If I haven’t overlooked a post; no-one has mentioned watering cans? As an indoor grower a properly designed watering can is a great gizmo!. Finding a good one..haven’t been easy-peasy..Most cans I have come over isn’t designed for watering in small amounts or designed for thight spaces. Either the neck is placed the wrong angle, is to short or the opening is way to large, so it’s almost impossible to adjust the amount of water given.

These are mine; The two in the back, red and clear; useless unless you grow tomatos or other water lovers indoors. The angle of the neck is way to steep, the neck is to short and the openings to large. The cans are also to big (high) to fit into tight places.

The two in front; the black one has a long and slim neck with a good angle ( pointing forward , not up) and a small opening, which makes it possible to water without drowning the plant or the surroundings. Minus point; the handle is not ergonomic. It’s way to big and high and , so it doesn’t fit in tight spaces or gives a good grip.

The orange one; the best one so far but the neck could have been even longerand the opening slightly smaller, that would have been great. The handle is very good, low and it gives you a good grip.
Attachments
E81E034E-FEC9-45A4-B366-51B0BFAEA6AC.jpeg
E81E034E-FEC9-45A4-B366-51B0BFAEA6AC.jpeg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 2853 times