"False"/partial variegation?

Anything relating to Cacti or CactiGuide.com that doesn't fit in another category should be posted under General.
Download

"False"/partial variegation?

Post by Download »

I've got this Echinopsis hybrid seedling (E arbicola X Zelly7) that has what I thought as variegation, but now I am not sure.

It was more yellow over summer, but now it was brought inside for winter, the yellow bits are more green? So i am not really sure if it's true variegation or if this is just what variegation sometimes does when no longer in strong sunlight? I have a second, more strongly variegated plant that is still yellow under grow lights.

I don't really care for variegated plants, so I was selling this, but then I pulled the listing because of these concerns.
Hanazono

Re: "False"/partial variegation?

Post by Hanazono »

Although I judged just from the photo, it is not a true variegated cactus.
The degree of varigation will change during growing but the change will not happen in season.

Even if it was a true variegated cactus, the cactus will be just green one in future if you can not see any varigation around the growing point.
I can not see any varigation around the growing point on your cactus.

I attached a photo of a small varigated Echinopsis for your information.
Attachments
Variegated echinopsis
Variegated echinopsis
IMG_3128 - Copy.JPG (121.39 KiB) Viewed 733 times
DaveW

Re: "False"/partial variegation?

Post by DaveW »

I have noticed in the past that exposure to strong sun during the day can cause temporary chlorosis producing yellower patches in some species. I have seen some plants develop more yellowish patches in full sun but then tend to green up again overnight. No doubt if the hot sun exposure had continued those patches would have burnt. Probably the same may occur with the degree of sunlight exposure from summer to winter?