Is this a Parodia scopa?

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
loyall

Is this a Parodia scopa?

Post by loyall »

I recently picked up this globose dimple-topped cactus at Lowe's big box store. Amongst all the plastic-flower-disgraced cacti, this one had no plastic flower. When I was repotting it I discovered small traces of hot glue on several of its small spines, but the glue remnant was surprisingly easy to remove without also removing spines. So I think my new acquisition looks surprisingly good and undamaged. It has shallow spiraling ribs without tubercles. The spines are light colored, but not white. It has two furry light brown flower buds that I hope are still viable. It reminds me of a Parodia (Notocactus). It somewhat resembles my Parodia erubescens, except that the spines are not reddish and my erubescens is columnar rather than globose like this one. My best guess is that it is Parodia scopa. The pot is about 11.5cm(4.5inches) in diameter.
Unknown Parodia_20230614_05.jpg
Unknown Parodia_20230614_05.jpg (68.44 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
P scopa_20230616_07.jpg
P scopa_20230616_07.jpg (110.18 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Unknown Parodia_20230614_03.jpg
Unknown Parodia_20230614_03.jpg (112.85 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Last edited by loyall on Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jerrytheplater

Re: Is this a Parodia?

Post by jerrytheplater »

I searched for the website of the grower of the plant using the tag for the plant and found they had photos of the cacti they grow and ship. You may get a good hint at what you got that way.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
7george

Re: Is this a Parodia scopa?

Post by 7george »

No, P. scopa body is more/less covered by spines. this one looks like Notocactus crassigibbus (N. uebelmannianus) with densier slines.

I doubt Lowes offer more exotic species like P. fusca or Parodia arnostiana.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
loyall

Post by loyall »

jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:32 pm I searched for the website of the grower of the plant using the tag for the plant and found they had photos of the cacti they grow and ship. You may get a good hint at what you got that way.
Great tip Jerry. The plastic pot this came in says Altman, Vista CA, so I looked them up on the web. Although I couldn't log in as a wholesaler, their online retail pages contain photos of four Notocacti for sale; magnificus, schlosseri, ubelmannianus, and scopa(silver ball cactus). Mine looks identical to the scopa pictured on their site. It is most definitely not ubelmannianus, as suggested by 7george.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Notocactus (Parodia) scopa is a variable species with spine variations from brown, red and yellowish to white and some would include N. succineus and N. rudibueneckeri in scopa as well.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=no ... C3&first=1

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=no ... =0&first=1

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=no ... BE&first=1

This was what we would have regarded as the traditional scopa in Britain, probably a cultivated clone before the white and other coloured scopa's later introduced from habitat became available.

https://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/NOTOC ... _scopa.htm
loyall

Post by loyall »

Thank you DaveW. Your excellent photo blizzard confirms what you said, and that I had come to believe, the P. scopa taxon is greatly variable. Thanks for chiming in.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

loyall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:43 pm
jerrytheplater wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:32 pm I searched for the website of the grower of the plant using the tag for the plant and found they had photos of the cacti they grow and ship. You may get a good hint at what you got that way.
Great tip Jerry. The plastic pot this came in says Altman, Vista CA, so I looked them up on the web. Although I couldn't log in as a wholesaler, their online retail pages contain photos of four Notocacti for sale; magnificus, schlosseri, ubelmannianus, and scopa(silver ball cactus). Mine looks identical to the scopa pictured on their site. It is most definitely not ubelmannianus, as suggested by 7george.
Great news.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

Looks like Notocactus apricus
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

As variable as P. scopa is, the radial spines on this aren't too convincing. I agree with anttisepp. This looks like what my local Lowe's/Home Depot/Walmart have labeled as Notocactus apricus or Notocactus agnetae (and sometimes even 'Notocactus sp.'), both of which are synonyms for Parodia concinna.
DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Looking at it further I agree with both the above that is is a member of the N. apricus/concinnus group rather than N. scopa group, Again spine colour is variable even within the species.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/notocac ... 196571331/

My N. agnatae is darker spined.

agnetae.jpg
agnetae.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
loyall

Post by loyall »

Gosh. Thank you very much Anttisepp, Mr Xeric, and DaveW for your wonderful assistance. Distinguishing the concinna group from the scopa group would be difficult for this beginner.
loyall

Post by loyall »

I must say that to me it looks very much like Notacactus rudibuenekeri. Would this be the same as Parodia scopa ssp rudibuenekeri? Unfortunately the fuzzy flower buds did not blossom.