How do I root grafted gymno pups?

Multiplying your cacti vegetatively.
keithp2012

How do I root grafted gymno pups?

Post by keithp2012 »

I’ve got a purple grafted gymno, which I heard can grow on own roots. I’ve dove this multiple times until I had no offsets left :(
I pulled off an offset, let it dry 2 days, then placed in a cacti soil perlite mix and misted daily with water. I had it under a grow light and it was warm. They all shriveled and never grew roots. What’s the right way to do this? I’ve given up that it’s impossible I just want one of these not grafted.
MrXeric

Re: How do I root grafted gymno pups?

Post by MrXeric »

Maybe the cuttings are too small? Depends on species, but cuttings that are too small will often dry up before they can root, especially if kept in direct sun or too close to lights.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

MrXeric wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:29 am Maybe the cuttings are too small? Depends on species, but cuttings that are too small will often dry up before they can root, especially if kept in direct sun or too close to lights.
I agree with MrX, also, can you show us a photo of the plant?
Alejandro
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

How big must the pups be? Mine were about the size of a dime coin. I can’t upload a photo but my cactus looks exactly like this. https://planetdesert.com/products/graft ... hanovichii
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

keithp2012 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:25 am How big must the pups be? Mine were about the size of a dime coin.
Dime size in diameter? I would go for something like grape size, it needs the body volume to to not shrink too fast.
Alejandro
ChaoticN

Post by ChaoticN »

I have noticed that some cacti will throw off aerial roots if the humidity is high enough, in the next few weeks I’m going to start a few experiments for rooting cuttings.

Hope you can get one to root brother!
Zone 6B, Kentucky. 860ft Elevation.
Hanazono

Post by Hanazono »

I normally select more than 3 cm diameter off-sets for rooting but off-set of some species are hard to reach 3 cm. I use a method shown on the sketch if the off-set was smaller than 3 cm.
1: An off-set for rooting
2. Any coarse materials to mimimize dried up of the off-set, I use coarse pumice sand.
3. Any rooting medium, I use 2~4 mm pumice sand.

An elderly cactus collecter told me:
It was possible to import cacti from USA long time ago but they had no roots normally. The method shown on the sketch was used for the rooting.
Attachments
Rooting for small off-set
Rooting for small off-set
finni20230728_10492291.jpg (136.25 KiB) Viewed 4032 times