Seedling ID

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
MrMatt

Seedling ID

Post by MrMatt »

Three years ago I planted a number of what I purchased as Echinofossulocactus (Stenocactus) crispatus. I am questioning the id. Could anyone offer insight to either confirm or refute the species?

Thanks
Attachments
Stenocactus.jpg
Stenocactus.jpg (167.42 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Stenocactus2.jpg
Stenocactus2.jpg (129.38 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
anttisepp

Re: Seedling ID

Post by anttisepp »

Right name imho.
MrXeric

Post by MrXeric »

The genus is right, at least! Since I've never sown this genus, I was very surprised to find out they are tuberculate in youth, growing into their characteristic wavy ribs later on.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It should become more clear soon, they look like they're on the verge of shifting from their juvenile tuberculate phase to the mature ribbed state.
Spence :mrgreen:
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

MrXeric wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 5:38 am The genus is right, at least! Since I've never sown this genus, I was very surprised to find out they are tuberculate in youth, growing into their characteristic wavy ribs later on.
That is news to me too.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Kipody

Post by Kipody »

greenknight wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:56 am It should become more clear soon, they look like they're on the verge of shifting from their juvenile tuberculate phase to the mature ribbed state.
Thats also my experiance. They have these funny looking long spines at first. When they start to develop their ribs the spines turn into the more "sharky" type.
A_G_R

Post by A_G_R »

MrMatt wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:54 pm Three years ago I planted a number of what I purchased as Echinofossulocactus (Stenocactus) crispatus. I am questioning the id. Could anyone offer insight to either confirm or refute the species?

Thanks
Just out of curiosity, what makes you doubt their id? I have no experience growing Stenocactus babies, but I know in the case of Turbinicarpus they can be very similar when young.
Alejandro
MrMatt

Post by MrMatt »

A_G_R wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, what makes you doubt their id? I have no experience growing Stenocactus babies, but I know in the case of Turbinicarpus they can be very similar when young.
This was my first time planting this species and I thought they were getting quite large without starting to display any signs of ribbing. Of course, the following week, evidence of ribbing was starting to form on the largest specimen.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Isn't it interesting how different cacti look at different ages? We should add pictures of babies, juveniles as well as oldsters to our picture database.
Pictures sent to Daiv via mail (not in a thread) might be added by him.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

nachtkrabb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:42 pm Isn't it interesting how different cacti look at different ages? We should add pictures of babies, juveniles as well as oldsters to our picture database.
Pictures sent to Daiv via mail (not in a thread) might be added by him.
N.
It's a great idea! As an example of just that very approach, check out the book: Turbinicarpus - Rapicactus by Donati and Zanavello. Not only do they include pictures of seedlings of all the species, but use them effectively to make their case for their classification.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:12 pm It's a great idea! As an example of just that very approach, check out the book: Turbinicarpus - Rapicactus by Donati and Zanavello. Not only do they include pictures of seedlings of all the species, but use them effectively to make their case for their classification.
Now that sounds like an interesting approach & book. Thank you.
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.