Growing Succulents/Cacti Under LEDs

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Nick Lowe

Growing Succulents/Cacti Under LEDs

Post by Nick Lowe »

I have been using a couple of Spider-Farmer SF1000 lights over my succulents and cacti for about a year now. Plants are all alive and healthy but I'm not getting the sort of growth that I got when I had them at our previous house (they got a ton of natural sunlight there). I'd like to pick up some sort of light meter to see exactly what readings I'm getting so I can modify as needed...

I'm going to pick up a quantum PAR meter. Probably a PhotoBio LGBQM2. I'm assuming PAR/PPFG are the numbers I'd be most concerned about. Where SHOULD those numbers be for my plants? In my collection are a few Crassula (jade) sp., Pachypodium, Euphorbia and on the higher end for light requirements, a totem pole cactus (Pachycereus schotti).

Once I have the meter and figure out what the readings are, I'll be able to adjust light height accordingly or add another fixture (or replace with different fixtures) if necessary. Happy to get input on my existing lights as well (Spider-Farmer SF1000).

Thanks in advance!
jerrytheplater

Re: Growing Succulents/Cacti Under LEDs

Post by jerrytheplater »

I guess you don't have any way to grow them outdoors in the summer? That is best if you can.

Otherwise, I can't really help except to say I remember someone posting about LED and light meters, but don't remember who or where. It is there though.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Ilvin

Re: Growing Succulents/Cacti Under LEDs

Post by Ilvin »

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it is 10000lux that you need to achieve from your grow lights. I have seen 5000lux listed on a different forum, but I suspect thats on the low side.

I have been growing lithops and a cactus under grow light for a few months now . I don't have a light meter so I can't say for sure, but using a somewhat dodgy app I believe I'm just a little short of the 10000 lux I was aiming for and it does seem to be successful in that the lithops is splitting and the cactus is definitely taking up water.

As Jerry says, I'm certain there's a more informative post on this forum already, but I'm afraid I don't know where.