Night Blooming Cereus

If you have a cactus plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
nachtkrabb

Re: Night Blooming Cereus

Post by nachtkrabb »

NCRAS wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:22 pm Great advice. Thank you. I have reached out to try and obtain a few plants. I have several areas where I would like to grow this particular cactus.
Hi NCRAS,
if you are interested: The different Selenicereus not only look all a bit different, but they also *behave* a bit different. Especially about the flowers, like
* at which time of the day they open & close the flowers,
* do they open them preferably on a stormy night with lightning, or is a looming storm enough, or...,
* how they do so -- in many small jerks or in one fluent motion,
* if they first stretch out their pistil before opening the flower or not,
I should love to have more different kinds of them. Unfortunately, I also lack the space, Mrs. Green -- that 3rd one is one too many. After it has flowered for the first time, I will have to find a new home for her. :(
anttisepp wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:36 am I have limited space and have to move the entire collection twice a year, so I often tie the stems of grandiflorus and macdonaldiae together in a modest bundle. (Each separately :) )
Hallo Antti,
would you show us some pictures, please? I admit being curious how you do that and about the result.
Haven't known about S.macdonaldiae yet, seen a picture at wikipedia -- how lovely....! Do your Selenicereus flower? If so, would you share some pictures?

Have a good time,
Nachtkrabb :)
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
anttisepp

Post by anttisepp »

nachtkrabb wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:29 pm <...> would you show us some pictures, please? I admit being curious how you do that and about the result. Haven't known about S.macdonaldiae yet, seen a picture at wikipedia -- how lovely....! Do your Selenicereus flower? If so, would you share some pictures? <...>
Hello, my S grandiflorus regulary blooms each year, also S validus which I call "small queen". :) S. macdonaldiae hadn't bloom yet though it's the biggest among them. I have some troubles with sharing pictures here because my pictures are bigger than have to be and to put pic here means some additional work with them. Pity I can't put them here straight as I do e.g. on Facebook without problems. Nevertheless I'll prepare some pics an show them later.
PS this summer I had my youngest 3 yr old from very poor cutting grown S grandiflorus flowering, it was very big surprise.
NCRAS

Post by NCRAS »

nachtkrabb - In regard to behavior, nothing special other than it bloomed at night. The photos I have show that it flowered end of July/first of August. I am in the central valley of California. "Typical weather" at this time of year is 90+ daytime temps and most of the summer we receive the benefit of the "Delta breeze" which brings most night time temp's into the 50's.
Still trying to figure out what I want to do.
7george

Post by 7george »

A Bamboo Palace for the Queen!
Wow! That plant has impressive size and condition!

I thought the wild ones are biggest but apparently not.
Here is one Selenicereus grandiflorus I saw in Mexico, coastal Yucatan peninsula. So hugging a palm also works for them.
If your cacti mess in your job just forget about the job.
°C = (°F - 32)/1.8
NCRAS

Post by NCRAS »

7george - great photo! Thank you for sharing!
Still trying to figure out what I want to do.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

Thanks, 7george. I never saw a Selenicereus in the wild with my own eyes.
This is a really nice picture, and instructive, too.
Great.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.
nachtkrabb

Post by nachtkrabb »

anttisepp wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:23 am Hello, my S grandiflorus regulary blooms each year, also S validus which I call "small queen". :)
PS this summer I had my youngest 3 yr old from very poor cutting grown S grandiflorus flowering, it was very big surprise.
Hi Antisepp, congratulations on your many flowerings!
They're a great show -- looking forward to your pictures. :D
N.
Love and Revolution!
...and still more cacti.