Big Bend National Park

Share info and Pictures about gardens, parks, nurseries, and other locations with cacti.
Dagave

Re: Big Bend National Park

Post by Dagave »

Thanks everyone.
Central Texas
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Dagave wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:50 am Image
Seeing this photo teaches me a lot. When I've seen my cacti grow with such obvious growth rings/constrictions in the cylindrical growth... I've blamed myself for bad culture and misshapen plants. Here is one in its habitat that shows the same hard growth. Here is the prototype to reflect on the natural growth form for a plant.

Am I making sense?

And, on second or third viewing, I see it looks like these are all pups from a long gone first plant that either died off or was otherwise damaged/eaten.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
Mrs.Green

Post by Mrs.Green »

Really beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing🙂 Do you know the name of that fern(?) growing out of the cliff wall?
Dagave

Post by Dagave »

Mrs.Green wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:35 pm Really beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing🙂 Do you know the name of that fern(?) growing out of the cliff wall?
Thanks. Possibly Myriopteris rufa. That’s the closest match I found for the area.
Central Texas
Dagave

Post by Dagave »

jerrytheplater wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:51 pm
Dagave wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:50 am Image
Seeing this photo teaches me a lot. When I've seen my cacti grow with such obvious growth rings/constrictions in the cylindrical growth... I've blamed myself for bad culture and misshapen plants. Here is one in its habitat that shows the same hard growth. Here is the prototype to reflect on the natural growth form for a plant.

Am I making sense?

And, on second or third viewing, I see it looks like these are all pups from a long gone first plant that either died off or was otherwise damaged/eaten.
That one was hard grown, but also extremely colorful for the area. Most were typical appearing Echinocereus dasyacanthus. I have some great pictures of them in flower from the neighboring Black Gap Wildlife Management Area. I will post those when I get a chance.
Central Texas
bbarv

Post by bbarv »

Now I want some of those to try outdoor.
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing!