wrinkly lophophora at the top

Trouble shoot problems you are having with your cactus.
wamilton

wrinkly lophophora at the top

Post by wamilton »

Sorry for the bad camera, I have a few grafted lophs that are showing wrinkling at the top. I have some other grafts from the same mother plant that are doing fine. I'm using a Viparspectra XS1500 at 50% for 13 hours a day. I'm wondering if it is getting too much sun, because I recently dialed my timer from 12/12 to 13/11, but it is weird my other cacti aren't doing this. Happy to hear other opinions on what this is and what I should do
DaveW

Re: wrinkly lophophora at the top

Post by DaveW »

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about it may just be epidermis variation between individuals also some are more hydrated than others.

With un-grafted Lophophora's over winter when water is withheld they can go quite soft and squashy which is normal for them but with most other cacti would mean they were rotten. Losing water over winter thickens the sap of many cacti so makes them more resistant to freezing, a form of natural antifreeze.
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

I see, the weird thing here is that the ones in the picture are still really firm, and I'm watering the pereskiopsis one quite often. I guess this might just be the epidermis variation you were mentioning? Do you think this will "recover" over time, or will the skin stay like this and just hope the new growth looks better?
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Your Lopho's look perfectly fine. Nothing for them to recover from.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.
MikeInOz

Post by MikeInOz »

I would suggest the the wrinkling (not the natural creases) as in the first 2 pics is light/heat too high. Put them in shade and see if they improve. (this should happen very quickly (24 hours or so) If they do, you have found the problem. If not then it's something else. I do not agree that it is normal.
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

MikeInOz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:34 am I would suggest the the wrinkling (not the natural creases) as in the first 2 pics is light/heat too high. Put them in shade and see if they improve. (this should happen very quickly (24 hours or so) If they do, you have found the problem. If not then it's something else. I do not agree that it is normal.
I agree. The unusual surface seen best in the 2 first shots are typical of sun scald. Your advice is good, and easy to try. Very few members of this genus will tolerate much sun L.alberto-vojtechii, L. fricii,, and L. koehresii seem to tolerate the most.
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

Thanks everyone, I moved the first one to a cooler spot and noticed immediate improvement the next day!
wamilton

Post by wamilton »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:43 pm I agree. The unusual surface seen best in the 2 first shots are typical of sun scald. Your advice is good, and easy to try. Very few members of this genus will tolerate much sun L.alberto-vojtechii, L. fricii,, and L. koehresii seem to tolerate the most.
Interesting, I have some L koehresii, do L koehresii tolerate a significant amount more light, or is it not enough to notice to a home grower? Also wondering if you could share some resources on other desert plants like A fissuratus and the Astrophytum genus
Tom in Tucson

Post by Tom in Tucson »

wamilton wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:09 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:43 pm I agree. The unusual surface seen best in the 2 first shots are typical of sun scald. Your advice is good, and easy to try. Very few members of this genus will tolerate much sun L.alberto-vojtechii, L. fricii,, and L. koehresii seem to tolerate the most.
Interesting, I have some L koehresii, do L koehresii tolerate a significant amount more light, or is it not enough to notice to a home grower? Also wondering if you could share some resources on other desert plants like A fissuratus and the Astrophytum genus
All I can say about 1st hand evidence is my L. koehresii has withstood more sun when grown next to L. williamsii. My other species are too small to expose fully.

I'd be glad to explore topics related to both. but in a new topic.